New kernel
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reves
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 3:55 pm    Post subject: New kernel Reply with quote

I recently updated to the latest Gentoo sources and when making the kernel it compiled with the -Os option. I believe normally it compiles with the -O2 option. I didn't notice any options in menuconfig for it. How can I cahnge this?
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: New kernel Reply with quote

Probably by editing the Makefile it generates, changing the HOSTCFLAGS variable.

I don't know if it is a good idea, anyway

reves wrote:
I recently updated to the latest Gentoo sources and when making the kernel it
compiled with the -Os option. I believe normally it compiles with the -O2 option. I didn't notice any options in menuconfig for it. How can I cahnge this?
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little surprised we haven't heard more about this (I'm going to check out the new kernel when I get home tonight), but as a side note, the performance of code generated with -Os is pretty close to the performance of -O2 (and much better than -O0). Most optimizations that improve the speed of a program also make the program smaller. I suppose someone decided that the reduced size of the kernel and corresponding memory usage justified the change. Maybe they're right!
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-O0 means no register allocation, as long as I remember. Everytime you use a variable, it needs a load and after that a store....

phong wrote:
I'm a little surprised we haven't heard more about this (I'm going to check out the new kernel when I get home tonight), but as a side note, the performance of code generated with -Os is pretty close to the performance of -O2 (and much better than -O0). Most optimizations that improve the speed of a program also make the program smaller. I suppose someone decided that the reduced size of the kernel and corresponding memory usage justified the change. Maybe they're right!
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, when they say "no optimization" they aren't kidding. I always thought of register allocation as a "necessary function for a working compiler", and then optimization would include a _better_ register allocator. :)

Anyhoo, here's a page that compares different compiler flags (including -Os) and performance (scroll to the bottom for the "average" score.) It's with gcc 3.0.1 which nobody is using right now, but I'm sure it's similar ballpark.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little late to the party, but as is detailed in here, you don't need to edit any Makefiles. Just pass something for CFLAGS_KERNEL on the command line.
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was meant to be used with debbuging.... you always have memory updated....

phong wrote:
Wow, when they say "no optimization" they aren't kidding. I always thought of register allocation as a "necessary function for a working compiler", and then optimization would include a _better_ register allocator. :)

Anyhoo, here's a page that compares different compiler flags (including -Os) and performance (scroll to the bottom for the "average" score.) It's with gcc 3.0.1 which nobody is using right now, but I'm sure it's similar ballpark.
reves
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a new install of 1.4rc1 and used gentoo-sources-r9 again. It used -Os again. I'm not sure if I really want to re-compile the kernel again. Do you think I would see that much more preformance from using -O2?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: