ppc-sources-2.4.24-r2 not booting up
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FlashLight
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:58 am    Post subject: ppc-sources-2.4.24-r2 not booting up Reply with quote

iBook G3 900Mhz. I just upgraded to 2.4.24-r2 from 2.4.24-r1. Upon rebooting I get the following and it just stops right there:

Code:

opening display /pci@f00000000/ATy,BeePavcnt@10/ATY,Bee_B... ok
copying 0F device tree... done
Calling quiesce...
returning 0x01400000 from prom_init

The screen remains white and doesn't start loading the kernel. Anyone know if I'm doing something wrong here? I basically just ran menuconfig, loaded up my old .config and then built it:

make dep && make clean vmlinux modules modules_install

Any help is appreciated.
rsala
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had 2.4.24-r2 running ok and then I rebuilt it with gcc-3.3.3-pre20041502 and it choked right away complaining about being unable to mount the VFS. I rebooted with the gcc-3.2.3 compiled version and its working again.
FlashLight
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm strange, I wonder if it has something to do with gcc then? Because I also upgraded to gcc-3.3.3_pre20040215 when it came out. Could this be the problem?
nokilli
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to chime in, I came here after giving up trying to get my vanilla 2.4.24 kernel that I installed under LFS to boot my iMac, and I was using gcc-3.3.3 too.

My symptoms were that I hung right after the kernel printed out:
Quote:
arch: exit

FWIW
ryanCD
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the problem of boot failing with arch: exit. I booted off the install cd, tryed re-compiling the older kernels, they didn't work, so I ended up having to downgrade gcc. Everything works fine now.

The gcc version that worked was 3.2.3-r4, which seems to be the latest stable gcc for ppc, so just remove the ~ppc line from /etc/make.conf and emerge gcc.

peace
rsala
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also tried building the latest benh kernel with the gcc-3.3.3 compiler and it fails in exactly the same place. If I go back to the 2.4.24-r2 kernel that I build with the earlier rev of the gcc compiler it works.

The funny thing is, I have rebuilt my entire base system (emerge -e system) with gcc-3.3.3, and afaict it all built and is running ok. Can anyone speculate as to what type of compiler bug would exhibit this behavior?

btw, should this thread be moved to ppc? I doesn't seem to be generating much interest in P&P.
casret
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, please move this to PPC. I've been compiling kernels all day trying to figure out what was up, until I found this thread. For the record I tried ppc-sources-benh-2.4.22-r5 and ppc-sources-2.4.24-r2 with gcc version 3.3.3 (Gentoo Linux 3.3.3_pre20040215). Both would not boot, and reset my clock to Dec 31 1903 when I booted my old kernel. Also I've been having problems with emerging mozilla-1.6-r1 (dies because of compiler internal error), not sure if its related.

I've downgrading gcc now, I'll post in the thread on my results.
casret
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The downgrade worked for both the kernel and mozilla. The ~ppc should probably be removed from gcc-3.3.3_pre20040215.ebuild
mattsteven
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have this exact problem, 2.4.24-r2 is unusable on ~ppc as of today.
FlashLight
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering if this is being looked into by the maintainer? Thanks.
mattsteven
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've created a bug report for it but it hasn't been addressed yet.

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=44837
rywhite
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I'd throw down my 4¢ as well... don't know if this is the same cause, but the same apparent OF hang after "prom_init"

I've been away from gentoo for a while (and never built for ppc - this is crt iMac DV SE) but I'm sort of in the same spot. However, I built from stage3 on 2004.1 livecd, then updated most of the system until emerge said I needed to run from the current (2.6.4 insted of 2.6.1r1) kernel before updating yaboot.

Ok, now... so this whole yaboot thing combining with framebuffers and VGA console has me totally confused. But I can tell that after updating to 2.6.4 kernel and yaboot 1.3.12r1, open firmware stops in the same place. Or at least looks stopped

If I ssh in, the system boots ok, with no strange messages even in the system log. I tried recompiling kernel with the OF framebuffer ATI128 driver vga, etc that I shouldn't have messed with in the first place, but still no console video.

Current kernel video driver settings are:
DRI video off (so I can use drm xfree when I get there)
[*] Support for frame buffer devices
[*] Open Firmware frame buffer device support
<*> ATI Rage128 display support
[ ] VGA text console
<M> Framebuffer Console support

because the mac has to use a framebuffer right? not sure how framebuffer console option is different than OF or Rage fb...

how does one pass proper video options to kernel in yaboot? did something other than needing sysfs (got it, I think: mkdir /sys, change fstab) for new ofpath change with yaboot?

Anyway I continue to look but didn't get as lucky this time as I used to with the vastly popular x86s ;) My *guess* is this is white screen and message is perfectly ok, but the last step before the console supposed to grab the fb and start telling me about the kernel. or something like that. no unlucky arch:exits for me.

Sorry for rambling, hope this saves from a red herring bug hunt if it's a video prob. Must sleep to clear my head...
Gentoo community is the best! (pat, pat)
rywhite
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... well I could not for the life of me get yaboot to listen to
append="ofonly"
in /etc/yaboot.conf as I had seen in other posts for testing with both options built in. I finally learned to use fbset -i to see that it was being ignored. Wrong driver for DV SE? Or maybe just my own misunderstanding of the option...

After removing the rage driver from the kernel, and saying yes rather than module to framebuffer console option (which I could swear didn't look the same in 2.6.1) everything becomes normal after the "prom_init" white screen on boot. fbset now reports "OFfb ATY,Rage12".
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: