Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Installing without access to CD burner
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
b1ind

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 9:47 pm    Post subject: Installing without access to CD burner Reply with quote

I have no CD-Burner personally, nor do I have indirect access to one. What I am wondering is how can I install Gentoo without having a bootable cd? Are there any bootdisks I can use to mount the .iso? If so, how would I perform such an operation.

Thanks
acon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have actually gotten this to work. This is how I did it.
I downloaded the 16MB iso gentoo-ix86-1.1a.iso. Then I mounted it with "-o loop". In the iso filesystem there is only three files one needs. If I rembember correctly I needed

- stage1-ix86-1.1a.tbz2
- isolinux/kernel
- isolinux/rescue.gz

I placed all in the root of a spare partition that I had created an extfs2 filesystem on.
Then I booted with my trusty grub boot disk (you have one of them don't you) and ran the following commands at the grub prompt:

grub> root (hd1,3)
grub> kernel /kernel devfs=nomount vga=normal load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0 ramdisk_size=22000 root=/dev/ram0 rw
grub> initrd rescue.gz
grub> boot

(Replace (hd1,3) above with the grub name of the partition with the installation files on.)
Then the installation image booted and I proceded with a normal gentoo installation from there.

This procedure requires that you already has a linux system running, that you have a spare partition (you could probably use any partition with spare space on it) and you need grub to boot it.
I agree that this isn't ideal, but it can be done.

Hope it helps!
b1ind

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I suppose I could download zipslack or some such looplinux system to install from. Thanks for the grub commands, as I am very unfamiliar with basic linux commands.
rizzo
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/altinstall.html

More or less says what acon was saying, but this is the official gentoo version. OOOOH! ;)

FYI.
squanto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always just buy a CD for $5 and help the great people who make all this happen....
http://cart.cheapbytes.com/cgi-bin/cart/0070010805
It has a stage3 cd and some other stuff as well I think, and $5 isn't a bad price, when you see people like RH charging as much as $60 for their pretty boxes.

-Andrew
wahgnube
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

acon wrote:
I have actually gotten this to work. This is how I did it.
I downloaded the 16MB iso gentoo-ix86-1.1a.iso. Then I mounted it with "-o loop". In the iso filesystem there is only three files one needs. If I rembember correctly I needed

- stage1-ix86-1.1a.tbz2
- isolinux/kernel
- isolinux/rescue.gz

I placed all in the root of a spare partition that I had created an extfs2 filesystem on.
Then I booted with my trusty grub boot disk (you have one of them don't you) and ran the following commands at the grub prompt:

grub> root (hd1,3)
grub> kernel /kernel devfs=nomount vga=normal load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0 ramdisk_size=22000 root=/dev/ram0 rw
grub> initrd rescue.gz
grub> boot

(Replace (hd1,3) above with the grub name of the partition with the installation files on.)
Then the installation image booted and I proceded with a normal gentoo installation from there.

This procedure requires that you already has a linux system running, that you have a spare partition (you could probably use any partition with spare space on it) and you need grub to boot it.
I agree that this isn't ideal, but it can be done.

Hope it helps!

Thanks for the info. I am attempting to do the same thing, except I haven't ever used grub before. I plan to do this using lilo. I installed Linux-Mandrake 8.2 (basic install) and created an empty partition for gentoo. I mounted the iso and copied
- stage1-ix86-1.1a.tbz2
- isolinux/kernel
- isolinux/rescue.gz
to the / of that partition. I then copied
- isolinux/kernel
- isolinux/rescue.gz
to my Mandrakes / . Edited lilo.conf to see the root partition as my gentoo partition, /kernel as the kernel and set initrd to rescue.gz and rebooted.
It seems to boot to the point the installation manual describes. Is this the same thing? can I proceed the installation from that point on?
Thanks!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: