View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 12:33 am    Post subject: emerge kde-base/kde Reply with quote

I can't speak for anyone else, But, I am very unhappy with the results of this command. At the moment (more than 24 hours into said emerge) it's working on the edutainment portion of the KDE dist. Why this is being done is beyond me. The implied meaning of base would be the required packages to install and run KDE.

Perhaps a more granular approach would save some frustration and time for people who have zero use for such fluff. ALL these useless (to me) additions will be hunted down and exterminated the very moment this emerge is FINALLY done.

And yes I'm aware of --pretend.

I THOUGHT this was supposed to be a "small" "fast" distro. I guess I was mistaken

Totally disapointed.

J.
prolific
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, if u want a small, fast gui just emerge Fluxbox (it will emerge XFREE86 as well, which took about 1hour 15min on my box). And yeah, KDE is too fluffy, I just use Konqueror because it has nice antialiasing fonts. :)
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd call Gentoo more a "fast" "bleeding edge" distro but definitely not small.

After using pretend you could of seen everything it was going to install, then adjusting your use variables may of removed some of the unwanted.
squanto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait till it is finished, then you will see that Gentoo is fast.
Just curious, but what type of machine are you emerging on? PIII 900 laptop took me 6 hours for full X and kde, Athlon 1600 took like 4and a half.
Granted that kde does take a while, stuff like icewm and flux take very little to compile.
both are extreamly fast on Gentoo systems.

-Andrew
doctorstrange

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 7:19 am    Post subject: it's relative Reply with quote

it took 19 hours for X plus KDE to compile on my Celeron 400, 196 MB RAM machine - but it was worth waiting; I like Gentoo very much, and I am no programmer, no developer, just a simple home-user
freefall
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kde-base/kde is a what I think is called a meta-ebuild. It's an ebuild with nothing but a bunch of dependencies, in this case most of kde.

Quote:
DESCRIPTION="KDE 3.0 - merge this to pull in all non-developer kde-base/* packag
es"

If you just want kdebase with dependencies you should do an 'emerge kdebase'. This will install kdelibs, kdebase, qt and some other deps (depending on your USE variables).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: