Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
modprobe no longer finds modules... HELP!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thorne
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 5:49 pm    Post subject: modprobe no longer finds modules... HELP! Reply with quote

<edit>I wasn't sure where to post this question, so I posted it in newbies.</edit>

Hi there,

I had a complete working system. I recently booted into XP, and decided to use the rest of drive I have gentoo on as a fat32 partition.

My drive was setup this way:

/dev/hdf1 -> boot (100mb)
/dev/hdf2 -> swap (300mb)
/dev/hdf3 -> /root (15gb)

and I had 22gb or so left I partitioned as fat32 in XP. I'm not even sure this is what is causing me problems with my modules loading, but since I did that, all my modules fail to load at startup. Also, KDM will no longer start. Did XP do something to my drive??

If I start the modules manually, they start just fine. I've looked at /etc/modules.autoload and nothing has changed in that file.

Thanks for any help! I need my system back!

Last edited by thorne on Sun Sep 22, 2002 6:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
El_Presidente_Pufferfish
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is somewhat off topic but
you usually want your windows partition(s) to be first on the drive
thorne
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XP is on a different hard drive (hda1.)

Last edited by thorne on Sun Sep 22, 2002 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
GreenCorduroy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably a typo but it's best to be sure. You checked modules.autoload not modules.autoconfig right?
thorne
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I can't load the modules from /lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r7/kernel/drivers/net/wireless either.. that gives me a modules not found error as well using modprobe.

However, if I load the modules with insmod, they load just fine. There must be something really simple that I am missing.
Zu`
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try

Code:

update-modules

or

Code:

depmod -a
thorne
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there. I'm not sure what caused the problem, but my nic module somehow got screwed up, as well as nvidia-glx and nvidia-kernel. I recompiled the kernel (because I had some stuff I needed to get rid of anyway,) and then compiled the latest module for my nic (I needed orinoco_pci) and eth0 was able to start up on boot again.

I also had to re-emerge nvidia-glx, and nvidia-kernel, and run kdm before the system would boot into KDE again.

I'm still baffled as to what happened, but at least my system is back up and running.

Thanks Zu` for taking a shot at solving my problem!

~thorne
Zu`
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thorne wrote:
Hi there. I'm not sure what caused the problem, but my nic module somehow got screwed up, as well as nvidia-glx and nvidia-kernel. I recompiled the kernel (because I had some stuff I needed to get rid of anyway,) and then compiled the latest module for my nic (I needed orinoco_pci) and eth0 was able to start up on boot again.

I also had to re-emerge nvidia-glx, and nvidia-kernel, and run kdm before the system would boot into KDE again.

I'm still baffled as to what happened, but at least my system is back up and running.

Thanks Zu` for taking a shot at solving my problem!

~thorne

Just to make sure you know:

After each "make modules modules_install" all of the modules in /lib/modules/<kernel-version>/ will get deleted so new ones can be installed. This means after each new kernel install -- "make dep && make clean bzImage && make modules modules_install" -- you'll have to reinstall Nvidia modules, ALSA modules and any other modules that don't get built during kernel compile.

This can be annoying, but it's just the way it is (for now).
thorne
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip! I was hoping that was the case.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zu` wrote:

After each "make modules modules_install" all of the modules in /lib/modules/<kernel-version>/ will get deleted so new ones can be installed.

This is almost, but not quite, the way that it works. Only the kernel and build directories inside /lib/modules/<kernel-version>/ are wiped, and recent versions of the nvidia-kernel ebuild take advantage of this by installing themselves outside those two directories, so they now survive a "make modules_install".
Zu`
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac wrote:
Zu` wrote:

After each "make modules modules_install" all of the modules in /lib/modules/<kernel-version>/ will get deleted so new ones can be installed.

This is almost, but not quite, the way that it works. Only the kernel and build directories inside /lib/modules/<kernel-version>/ are wiped, and recent versions of the nvidia-kernel ebuild take advantage of this by installing themselves outside those two directories, so they now survive a "make modules_install".

Yes, I must admit you're right there. It's always been a routine to rebuild the nvidia drivers after kernel upgrade/recompile that I forgot to check if the module really got deleted.

Thanks for the correct information, rac.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zu` wrote:
Thanks for the correct information, rac.

The real credit goes to CDM, who dragged skeptical me kicking and screaming into reality.
Lion
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 1:14 pm    Post subject: Related, but not quite Reply with quote

Sideways related to this topic: I want two different kernels side by side, so I can choose at boot time. When I build the second kernel, I have to re-emerge ALSA. When this installs, it wipes my previous ALSA-installation for the other kernel (safely unmerging previous installation or something like that)... Can this be prevented?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: