Gtk2 themes with evolution and xmms
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princess Firefly
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 8:04 pm    Post subject: Gtk2 themes with evolution and xmms Reply with quote

I just installed a fresh new gnome2 system from the 1.4 cd. Most things are great.

Gtk2 themes work good for most apps but now and then there are those that don't seem to use the theme I have selected but seem to be using a clunky default-looking theme instead. The two most noticeable cases are evolution and xmms (when loading files).

I'm not sure if that is because maybe they don't support gtk2 yet and maybe somehow they're still using gtk1 (although I didn't think that was installed on my system)... if that's the case then how to I change their theme so it matches everything else.

using: xfree 4.2.1, gnome 2, evolution 1.0.8-r1, xmms 1.2.7-r12

xpfx
mglauche
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

evolution and xmms use gtk1, try looking for a similar matching gtk1 theme .. a good way for this is the redhat-artwork package, it has a quite good useability themes for gtk,gtk2 and qt ...
tyler
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from xmms.org

Quote:

GTK+2/Glib 2 Apr 12, 2002
Today is the day when everyone should stop whining about gtk-/glib-config. XMMS _does not_ use GTK+2/Glib2 (yet), it uses 1.2.x. Gtk+2/Glib2 is not backward compatible with 1.2.x, so there. Don't make me post asciipr0n.

/\ |\| () |\|
Princess Firefly
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 7:00 am    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the info...

In case anyone else has this problem, I couldn't figure out how to change the gtk1 theme so I emerged the old version of gtk-theme-switch.. There's probably an easier way but I couldn't find one. Here's how:

cd /usr/portage/x11-themes/gtk-theme-switch
emerge gtk-theme-switch-1.0.1.ebuild

then to run it:
switch

Hopefully someday they support gtk2.
xpfx
tyler
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so you have switch and switch2 running?

i guess it's not a big deal to have to maintain the theme for gtk1 and gtk2.
Arker
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I may be missing something else... When I run switch, I can change the themes and preview etc, but they pretty much all look exaclt the same. I know this is not a property of gtk1 because I've seen screens of other people's desktops and the themes for the gtk1 apps blend in nicely with their gtk2 apps. The switch app displays a large list of available themes.

Anyone else getting this?

Cheers,
Arker
Princess Firefly
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 10:28 pm    Post subject: different themes Reply with quote

You have to be sure that the theme you're "switching" to is a gtk1 theme. If you try to switch to a gtk2 theme (most of the themes there on my system) and hit preview it will show you a default one. In fact the only gtk1 theme I got working was bluecurve (the redhat stuff), which is still pretty ugly but nicer than the default.

I'm just not going to worry about it, evolution and xmms should catch up pretty quick (I hope).

Also, I only have switch for gtk1 installed. I can still use the theme switch in the gnome desktop preferences thing to change the gtk2 theme. I don't know what happens if you have switch1 and switch2 or if portage will even let you do that.

xpfx
mavos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no problem having both gtk-theme-switch 1 and 2 installed at the same time, but gtk-theme-switch is unfortunately stupid enough to show all themes for both gtk 1 and gtk 2 in both versions.
maKKus
Guru
Guru

Location: /Universe/Milky Way/Sol/Earth/Europe/EEC/The Netherlands/Limburg/Beek/Neerbeek

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also use gnomecc to switch gtk+1 themes. I never installed it but evolution seems to require it to be installed. Type gnomecc in a shell. To be sure you have a similar Gtk+1 and Gtk+2 theme install red-har artwork ebuild. This will install Bluecurve themes for gtk+1 gtk+2 and qt. I think it is a nice theme
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: