View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zatalian
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Comming from redhat, i'm new to compiling kernels, and recompiling them... So I have a question :

I just downloaded the latest gentoo kernel but I want to keep the old one until i'm sure the new one is working fine. I noticed the bzImage copies in /boot but what about the /usr/src/linux link and what about the modules?

How do i get the right modules with the right kernel at startup and the right link to the kernel source?
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This question originally appeared here. Please don't post support questions to threads in Documentation, Tips & Tricks.
zatalian
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

while looking into the kernel topics i found that the modules are stored in a /lib/modules/<kernel version> directory. So that solves -almost- one problem.

I guess if I want 2 versions of the same kernel, i'll have to use the same dir or change the kernel version.

But i still have problems with older versions. Last night i re-emerged my nvidia-kernel for my latest kernel and now my previous kernel does not find it anymore.

Second thing i noticed is that at startup, something (Insmod?) was complaining about a newer version of /etc/modules.conf

Thirth thing is the symlink...

And then there's one more thing, maybe a little bit of topic, but i was wondering if somebody has a solution for this one :
when i compile my kernel, it doesn't use the compiler settings as i defined them in make.conf. Any idea's on how to force my compiler options into the kernel building process?
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zatalian wrote:
I guess if I want 2 versions of the same kernel, i'll have to use the same dir or change the kernel version.

This is one of the reasons I am not a big fan of modules. You can try setting EXTRAVERSION if you wish: see this thread.

Quote:
But i still have problems with older versions. Last night i re-emerged my nvidia-kernel for my latest kernel and now my previous kernel does not find it anymore.

/usr/src/linux must be pointing at the sources for the running kernel at the time you emerge nvidia-kernel. See the nvidia-kernel ebuild or this thread for more discussion on this one.

Quote:
Second thing i noticed is that at startup, something (Insmod?) was complaining about a newer version of /etc/modules.conf

This one doesn't ring a bell. What's the exact error message?

Quote:
Thirth thing is the symlink...

Which symlink would this be?

Quote:
when i compile my kernel, it doesn't use the compiler settings as i defined them in make.conf. Any idea's on how to force my compiler options into the kernel building process?

There are instructions for doing this along with my opinion (for whatever that's worth) on the wisdom of doing so in this thread.
RedBeard0531
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he means the /usr/src/linux symlink

to update it:

cd /usr/src
rm linux
ln -s linux-2.4.19-gentoo-r9 linux

this asumes u r using r9, and if u emerge sync'ed this moth you prolly are
zatalian
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know how to update a kernel and everything that is related to it.
I was just wondering if it is possible to keep 2 kernels on the same machine and do all the stuff automatically. Right now, I have 2 kernels, r7 and r9. Grub can boot from both, but the related stuf like the /usr/src/linux link, the nvidia module, ... must be done every time i change from kernel.
So i was wondering if there is somebody out there who has 2 or more kernels, and has automated the hole process of changing kernels at startup.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: