View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hokas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 8:58 pm    Post subject: mozilla speed problems and gcc optimization for duron morgan Reply with quote

I'm experiencing slow ui and rendering on mozilla. I've tried to recompile it couple of times but it hasn't worked. Rendering web pages is slow and also the ui compared to other linux distros (slackware, red hat) or windows. Still mozilla starts up in few seconds.
I have 1.2 duron and ati radon video card. Because of the problems I just installed gentoo 1.4rc1 and i'm using gcc 3.2 with duron optimizations. hasn't changed anything. Before I used gentoo 1.2. I've X running with ati's driver. I haven't experienced same performance problems any other applications expect galeon. And it uses gecko so... Gnome and other desktops, applications run fast enough. And konqueror renders web pages much faster. I didn't find any similar from forums. I've understood that disabling debug shouldn't accelerate applications, only startup times so it shouldn't help me.
And a another question: What optimization should I use for duron with Morgan core?? I've understood that the core is the same as in athlon-xp expect cache.

Thanks for your help
Possie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I consider myself a newbie, but dare to give you my experience. I also have a 1.2 Duron (don't know the core). I haven't been able to use the duron optimization for all packages. Now that I use athlon, everything goes just fine. I've read that the Duron above 1 GHz can use Athlon optimization. Hope this will help you.
Swishy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: mozilla speed problems and gcc optimization for duron mo Reply with quote

hokas wrote:
I'm experiencing slow ui and rendering on mozilla. I've tried to recompile it couple of times but it hasn't worked. Rendering web pages is slow and also the ui compared to other linux distros (slackware, red hat) or windows. Still mozilla starts up in few seconds.
I have 1.2 duron and ati radon video card. Because of the problems I just installed gentoo 1.4rc1 and i'm using gcc 3.2 with duron optimizations. hasn't changed anything. Before I used gentoo 1.2. I've X running with ati's driver. I haven't experienced same performance problems any other applications expect galeon. And it uses gecko so... Gnome and other desktops, applications run fast enough. And konqueror renders web pages much faster. I didn't find any similar from forums. I've understood that disabling debug shouldn't accelerate applications, only startup times so it shouldn't help me.
And a another question: What optimization should I use for duron with Morgan core?? I've understood that the core is the same as in athlon-xp expect cache.

Thanks for your help

The Morgan core is identical to the Xp except with less l2 cache (benchmarks are pretty similar to :) ) so athlon opt.s should work fine..

Cheers
Dale.
hokas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 6:00 pm    Post subject: performance problems with mozilla and gentoo... Reply with quote

I didn't find any help for the awful speed of some programs in my gentoo installation... I installed Slackware 8.1 over my gentoo :cry: and I found especially mozilla, galeon working much faster ... Now I'm trying to get along with Slackware... I have same xfree (4.2 with ati driver) running in slackware.

I'm very disappointed that I coudn't make gentoo work. I like very much structure and in general using of gentoo (filesystem, config scripts, portage...).

The main problem was the performance of mozilla. Ui and renderin was very slow compared to mozilla in other systems I've used. I didn't have same problems with other browsers (old netscape, konqueror) expect galeon. I tried other versions (0.99, 1.0, 1.01) but nothing changed. I have a feeling that mozilla slowed down even more in gnome 2 than in xfce. I'm not sure. I also had a feeling that using gnome was somehow slowed down from gnome 1.4. Maby I'm a little paranoid with performance but I'm sure about mozilla. Other programs in gnome 2 also seemed a little sticky to use. I think that xfce responds quicker under slackware than gentoo.

I tried gentoo linux 1.2 and 1.4_rc1 with athlon and athlon_xp optimizations, same again... One thing I didn't try was removing debug. Now I'm thinking I'll have to reinstall gentoo and try removing it :). Maby when 1.4 is released.

hokas
Finland
helmers
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My gentoo uses mozilla 1.0, which is much slower than 1.1, so if your slack installation uses 1.1, you will get an unfair comparison. Also, I can't think how anything you compile and control yourself can be slower than the default. And slackware only comes in 386/686 packags, if I remember correctly. It should be heaps slower. :twisted:
hokas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using default mozilla in slackware 8.1, version 1.0. And it's the same version i've used in windows. All the packages should be optimized for i386, slack works in i386 system...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: