View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GaryGNU
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 7:26 pm    Post subject: Shadowed XFree4 with all WM's Reply with quote

Hey all,

Currently I'm using KDE3 but this question is not WM specific I've tried them all.

For the most part I run in console mode and MC for my administration duties, but recently I've started using X more and more because Galeon is finally a browser I can deal with :wink:

Now, my question is my display is 'fuzzy' for lack of a better word. Text and buttons look 'shadowed' etc..., is anyone else out there dealing with this problem?

I'm using a Nvidia TNT2 32MB vid card with the Nvidia modules.

I'd appreciate any feedback links etc...
If anymore information is needed let me know.

TIA,
Gary
Mr. Atoz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Shadowed XFree4 with all WM's Reply with quote

Have you tried running X at different resolutions and depths? If yes, do you get the "fuzzy" in all of them or only a certain combination(s)?

Also, check your refresh rate that X has chosen for you. You can do this by starting X, opening a shell and running xvidtune Anything under 70Hz is not an optimal refresh.
GaryGNU
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Shadowed XFree4 with all WM's Reply with quote

Mr. Atoz wrote:
Have you tried running X at different resolutions and depths? If yes, do you get the "fuzzy" in all of them or only a certain combination(s)?

Also, check your refresh rate that X has chosen for you. You can do this by starting X, opening a shell and running xvidtune Anything under 70Hz is not an optimal refresh.

Thanks for the suggestion unfortunately the lower the resolution I try the worse the shadowing becomes. Refresh rate is 96Mhz. Maybe it's time to look at some new monitors :wink:

Must be a hardware thing as my laptop looks great. O well again thanks for the response.

Meanwhile if anyone else is having this problem or had a alternate solution can they respond just so I know it's not just me and I can continue searching for a fix.

TIA,
Gary
Kaali
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a NVidia problem. Some NVidia (Geforce 2) cards are made from the cheapest parts and thus have bad quality. Never heard about 'shadows' more about blurring.. so it might not be the same problem.
GaryGNU
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah this make sense, I slapped a old ATI Rage Pro card in and it actually looks alot better.

Thanks for the heads up.

I wonder what the best card would be to get but thats another subject.

Thanx to all that responded,

Gary
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: