View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xTango
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 7:40 pm    Post subject: Console and profile Reply with quote

Hi,

I guess this kind of newbie questions have been asked a trillion times, but I still don't get it and I can't find anything in the docs.

Problem: My KConsole (KDE 3.0.2) desn't read the profile.

.bashrc:
source /etc/profile

.bash_profile:
eval `dircolors -b /etc/DIR_COLORS`
alias d="ls --color"
alias ls="ls --color=auto"
alias ll="ls --color -l"
source /etc/profile

I changed the first line of startkde to #!/bin/sh -login
and my .xinitrc is calling startkde instead of kde.

Oh! And I configured KConsole to run "bash -ls" instead of plain "bash".

And I still don't get my aliases (which are defined /etc/profile).

Can someone with a little patience explain why isn't bash reading my .bash_profile?

Thanks in advance.
Black666
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should put this

Code:

alias d="ls --color"
alias ll="ls --color -l"

into your /etc/profile

As far as I know KDE reads the .bashrc and not the .bash_profile...
nitro322
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm... After reading this post, I just realized that I having the same problem. I also have a custom path and a couple other things being set through ~/.bash_profile, which I definately don want global. I guess putting them in ~/.bashrc would work, but that seems like kind of a kludge workaround. Anyone know where the actual problem comes from? I've never seen this before. Thanks.
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When started as 'sh', bash does not read the .bash_profile file AFAIK. If you change the start up to "#!/bin/bash --login".

Also, bash does not have a "-ls" option.
nitro322
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, noticed something else strange. When I initially pull up a konsole, my .bash_profle (or .profile) is not read. However, if I su - my username and login again (same account), it's processed. I tried changing startkde from #!/bin/sh --login to #!/bin/bash --login, as previously suggested, but that didn't help. Anyone find a fix for this? Thanks.
reverius42
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 12:08 am    Post subject: .bash_profile and KDE Reply with quote

nitro322 wrote:
ok, noticed something else strange. When I initially pull up a konsole, my .bash_profle (or .profile) is not read. However, if I su - my username and login again (same account), it's processed. I tried changing startkde from #!/bin/sh --login to #!/bin/bash --login, as previously suggested, but that didn't help. Anyone find a fix for this? Thanks.

As someone stated earlier, KDE reads from the .bashrc instead of .bash_profile. Although, I thought in a normal installation .bashrc reads from .bash_profile... or maybe not.

Try putting the contents of .bash_profile (that you want, anyway) in .bashrc, and then if that doesn't work, in /etc/profile.
nitro322
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hesitant about doing that because everything else reads .bash_profile first, which then calls .bashrc. I didn't want things like my PATH being set twice and either adding multiple entries or overiding some. Turns out though that this didn't work quite right either becuase /etc/profile isn't read either.

However, sburnett was kind enough to provide the solution (although he accidently started a new thread, which got moved to /dev/null). Simply call konsole with the -ls, and it works fine. Update your shortcuts and you're all set.
xTango
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here:

AFAIK, bash will read .bashrc for non-login shells, and .bash_profile for login shells. So, I put "source /etc/profile" in both .bashrc and .bash_profile and then put everything I need in /etc/profile. This way, _every_ shell should parse /etc/profile. But still they don't. Having Kconsole call bash -ls or bash --login doesn't help.

I just don't get it...
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The solution that nitro322 was suggesting above is to change the konsole "shortcut" on kicker or elsewhere to be: "konsole -ls" (at least as I read it).

xTango wrote:
Here:

AFAIK, bash will read .bashrc for non-login shells, and .bash_profile for login shells. So, I put "source /etc/profile" in both .bashrc and .bash_profile and then put everything I need in /etc/profile. This way, _every_ shell should parse /etc/profile. But still they don't. Having Kconsole call bash -ls or bash --login doesn't help.

I just don't get it...
nitro322
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naan Yaar wrote:
The solution that nitro322 was suggesting above is to change the konsole "shortcut" on kicker or elsewhere to be: "konsole -ls" (at least as I read it).

Yes, that's correct. An easy way to test it is to just hit <Alt>-<F2> to bring up the Run box, and then type in 'konsole -ls' (without quotes) and hit enter. Should work for you...
daen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Console and profile Reply with quote

i had the same problem - and i solved it "the right way" (tm) :))
it's been an annyoing error that the midnight commander wasn't able to show output on the text console as a normal user but as root. so i diffed SET and saw that root has a /bin/bash and my user /bin/sh.
when i added my user with useradd i left the shell option blank. so i added at /etc/passwd /bin/bash to my user and now everything works perfectly.

bye,
daniel

xTango wrote:
Hi,

I guess this kind of newbie questions have been asked a trillion times, but I still don't get it and I can't find anything in the docs.

Problem: My KConsole (KDE 3.0.2) desn't read the profile.

.bashrc:
source /etc/profile

.bash_profile:
alias d="ls --color"
alias ll="ls --color -l"
source /etc/profile

I changed the first line of startkde to #!/bin/sh -login
and my .xinitrc is calling startkde instead of kde.

Oh! And I configured KConsole to run "bash -ls" instead of plain "bash".

And I still don't get my aliases (which are defined /etc/profile).

Can someone with a little patience explain why isn't bash reading my .bash_profile?

Thanks in advance.
splakdatter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

konsole -ls works for the user, but go into superuser mode a la "su" and you lose all the aliases and other setting in /etc/profile.

Solve that one perty pleez.

Naan Yaar wrote:

xTango wrote:
Here:

I just don't get it...
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The short answer is: do "su -" instead of "su".
The long answer is:

• Put your global aliases in /etc/bashrc (this file does not exist in gentoo)
  • Put something like this in your .bashrc:
    Code:

if [ -f /etc/bashrc ]; then
            . /etc/bashrc
    fi

• Put something like this in your .bash_profile:
    Code:

if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
            . ~/.bashrc
    fi

This will allow you to have global aliases that work whether you are in a login or in a non-login shell.
splakdatter wrote:
konsole -ls works for the user, but go into superuser mode a la "su" and you lose all the aliases and other setting in /etc/profile.

Solve that one perty pleez.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: