New user struggling with wine/steam/proton
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leylanator
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 11:19 am    Post subject: New user struggling with wine/steam/proton Reply with quote

Hi, I've come over from Artix, stopped by briefly by Debian. before landing on Gentoo.

Things all seem fine, but I'm having issues with WINE.
First thing I noticed was that when running winetricks the first two popups are:
Code:
Unknown file arch of /etc/eselect/wine/bin/wineserver.
Unknown file arch of /etc/eselect/wine/bin/wine.
You are using a 64-bit WINEPREFIX. Note that many verbs only install 32-bit versions of packages. If you encounter problems, please retest in a clean 32-bit WINEPREFIX before reporting a bug.
WoW64 type could not be detected.

I'm using wine-staging, and some apps will notify "please install wine 32bit" and not work.
Any app on Steam that needs to run DirectX12 fails.

Tekken 8 at any given time has a "UE-Polaris Fatal error wine!" wine popup and start fail, or, if it does start cinematic:

Code:
Assertion failed!

Program:
Z:\storage\S3-4TB\extras\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\TEKKEN 8\Polaris\Binaries\Win64\Polaris-Win64\Shipping.exe
File: ../src-wine/dlls/winevulkan/loader_thunks.c
Line: 98

Expression "!status && "vkBeginCommandBuffer""

Press OK to exit the program, or Cancel to start the Wine debugger.

This would sometimes show other non-working lines, like 2827 for vkCreateGraphicsPipelines

Street Fighter 6 also has similar/same issues. It either fails to start up and goes into a Capcom bug report window, or (if the game got past start-up) it will have a similar error. The bug report window shows Error Code0x20000000
Elden Ring also doesn't start up, at all. And BeamNG drive fails once a map is loading.

I'm not sure how to check if I have a working WINE installation or not, and how to replace what is missing or fix what is broken. I'd appreciate any and all help :)

[Edits]:
I should probably also note that I had an issue with Steam, where it wouldn't start from the desktop shortcut. There was a hanging Debian install starter. I changed the desktop shortcut to use ~/.local/share/Steam/steam.sh directly

My hardware is: Motherboard Z390D, CPU i9-9900K, GPU AMD Radeon 6800 XT. My make conf is below:
Code:
# These settings were set by the catalyst build script that automatically
# built this stage.
# Please consult /usr/share/portage/config/make.conf.example for a more
# detailed example.
COMMON_FLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe"
CFLAGS="${COMMON_FLAGS}"
CXXFLAGS="${COMMON_FLAGS}"
FCFLAGS="${COMMON_FLAGS}"
FFLAGS="${COMMON_FLAGS}"

MAKEOPTS="-j16 -l16"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="*"
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64"

#FEATURES="candy"
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--ask"

VIDEO_CARDS="amdgpu radeonsi"

USE="X alsa bluetooth brotli clang cups dbus extra gcc gles2 gpm haptic introspection jack jack-sdk joystick keyboard llvm lv2 mouse opengl pipewire readline sound ssl touchpad udev video vulkan vst wacom wayland -networkmanager -ppp -systemd"
#gpm may need to be unused sometimes
#replace jack-sdk with jack-client if sample rates other than 48K are needed, loses general pipewire graph

INPUT_DEVICES="libinput evdev synaptics joystick"
# NOTE: This stage was built with the bindist Use flag enabled

# This sets the language of build output to English.
# Please keep this setting intact when reporting bugs.
LC_MESSAGES=C.utf8

GENTOO_MIRRORS="https://mirror.init7.net/gentoo/ \
    rsync://mirror.init7.net/gentoo/ \
    https://mirror.bytemark.co.uk/gentoo/ \
    rsync://mirror.bytemark.co.uk/gentoo/ \
    https://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/distfiles.gentoo.org/ \
    ftp://ftp.mirrorservice.org/sites/distfiles.gentoo.org/ \
    rsync://rsync.mirrorservice.org/distfiles.gentoo.org/"

GRUB_PLATFORMS="efi-64"

I'm on 6.8.9-dist, which was compiled during install time.
Ralphred
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These two are normal
Quote:
You are using a 64-bit WINEPREFIX. Note that many verbs only install 32-bit versions of packages. If you encounter problems, please retest in a clean 32-bit WINEPREFIX before reporting a bug.
WoW64 type could not be detected.
WoW64 is an "experimental" architecture (arch) type, so you wouldn't want to be seeing this enabled just yet in the context of games.
The first two lines sound like a eselect issue, what is the output of
Code:
eselect wine list

leylanator wrote:
I'm not sure how to check if I have a working WINE installation or not
I'm not sure how much of one you need for steam, pre-proton I did run some games directly, so HAD to have a working wine install, this isn't something I ever had the desire to undo.
leylanator wrote:
Tekken 8 ... Street Fighter 6 ... Elden Ring ... BeamNG
Of these games I only have Elden Ring, and I just checked it's working, so will try and show my underlying system.
So I have steam-launcher installed from the "steam-overlay"
Code:
emerge -pv --nodeps steam-launcher wine-staging:9.6
[ebuild   R    ] games-util/steam-launcher-1.0.0.79::steam-overlay  USE="desktop-portal dialogs joystick pulseaudio steamruntime trayicon udev wayland -steamvr" VIDEO_CARDS="-nvidia" 0 KiB
The wine-staging I keep around (I suspect) handles dependencies for proton
Code:
[ebuild   R   ~] app-emulation/wine-staging-9.6:9.6::gentoo  USE="X alsa dos fontconfig gecko mingw mono nls opencl opengl osmesa pulseaudio sdl ssl strip truetype udev udisks unwind usb vulkan wayland xcomposite xinerama -capi -crossdev-mingw -cups -custom-cflags -gphoto2 -gstreamer -kerberos -llvm-libunwind -netapi -pcap -perl -samba -scanner (-selinux) -smartcard -v4l -wow64" ABI_X86="32 64"
And finally Elden Ring's steam config:
Using GE-Proton7-42 with PROTON_NO_FSYNC=1 %command% as the launch command.

As a side note, if you are running any 32bit games through vulkan you may need to turn off Allow background processing of Vulkan shaders in steams Download settings (there was a crash associated with 32bit shader processing, if background is on the steam client crashes out, not just the game).
leylanator
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
~ % eselect wine list
Available Wine slots:
  [1]   wine-proton-9.0.1 *

[2]   wine-staging-9.8 * (main)

Worth noting: when I install and select wine-proton AFTER wine-staging, the first two lines become the one we're familiar with. Before that, it spits out something to do with a
Code:
Unknown file arch: 72

This changes to the eselect referring messages after another version of WINE is loaded, and then sticks with it no matter the WINE version being used.

I'll look at attempting a rebuild of all WINE programs by removing my current prefix (stashing it somewhere same, just in-case), deleting everything to do with wine, and rebuilding. Won't do that hastily, though. Still need to look at what specifically is going wrong

Also, thanks for the Elden Ring top tip, I have no idea how it was running on the distro before-last previously without that, but Elden Ring sure is working now :)

[Edit]: Just in-case it's useful, I also had a look at what these packages are using:
Code:
~ % emerge -pv --nodeps steam-launcher wine-staging wine-proton

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

[ebuild   R    ] games-util/steam-launcher-1.0.0.79::steam-overlay  USE="desktop-portal dialogs joystick pulseaudio steamruntime udev wayland -steamvr -trayicon" VIDEO_CARDS="-nvidia" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] app-emulation/wine-staging-9.8:9.8::gentoo  USE="X alsa cups fontconfig gecko gstreamer mingw mono nls opengl pulseaudio sdl ssl strip truetype udev udisks unwind usb vulkan wayland xcomposite -capi -crossdev-mingw -custom-cflags -dos -gphoto2 -kerberos -llvm-libunwind -netapi -opencl -osmesa -pcap -perl -samba -scanner (-selinux) -smartcard -v4l -wow64 -xinerama" ABI_X86="32 64" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] app-emulation/wine-proton-9.0.1:9.0.1::gentoo  USE="alsa fontconfig gecko gstreamer mono nls pulseaudio sdl ssl strip udev udisks unwind usb xcomposite -crossdev-mingw -custom-cflags -llvm-libunwind -osmesa -perl (-selinux) -v4l -wow64 -xinerama" ABI_X86="32 64" VIDEO_CARDS="amdgpu" 0 KiB

Total: 3 packages (3 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 0 KiB
Ralphred
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can run games through steam they do make it easy. One thing I do is to check the release date of the game, then pick a version of GE-Proton that was released a couple of months later. If that doesn't work check out https://www.protondb.com/explore and see what versions of proton people are having success with there. I have some old games still tied to proton version 5ish, because if it ain't broke and all that.
leylanator wrote:
[Edit]: Just in-case it's useful

It is, and a note about that, personally I'd set osmesa on for wine, it's a bit of a chore as you have to turn on a lot abi_x86_32 flags for dependencies, but it's worth it to know your Gentoo graphics stack is "complete" from wine's point of view, and you only have to do the it once.

If you are running games with native wine, it's best to wrap the game command and give it it's own prefix. Personally I have my /etc/eselect/wine group-writable by users, then I can run eselect wine [version] in games wrapper scripts, and do a sanity check with wine --version so I don't accidentally end up "upgrading" a prefix I want left alone. As far as DX12 have you installed it in the prefix the game is trying to run in? Though enabling osmesa might fix this, might.
leylanator
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It is, and a note about that, personally I'd set osmesa on for wine, it's a bit of a chore as you have to turn on a lot abi_x86_32 flags for dependencies, but it's worth it to know your Gentoo graphics stack is "complete" from wine's point of view, and you only have to do the it once.

Gave it a go. Unfortunately, same issues persist after rebuilding with osmesa USE flag.
Though, curiously, SF6 isn't having the issue within a short testing period of gameplay anymore. Instead it's flickering between the game and the desktop if it's ever fullscreen or borderless.
I think I've installed DX12, but I don't know how to check. I'm assuming DX12 would be installed in Steam's proton, maybe there's an error with that?
leylanator
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried updating @world with the vaapi, vdpau, and vkd3d flags on, which rebuilt mesa and some other things. Still, no dice
A temporary resort I've come to is having a Debbie install on another drive to alleviate these toothing pains for the time being.
Still very much interested in finding a solution, though, as I do prefer Gentoo.

[Edit] I maybe should also mention that translucent window elements in KDE Plasma have been bugged since first install. Konsole is completely transparent, menus are weird colours, etc. It could be related. Maybe driver issue?

Last edited by leylanator on Sun May 12, 2024 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total
leylanator
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
[Edit] I maybe should also mention that translucent window elements in KDE Plasma have been bugged since first install. Konsole is completely transparent, menus are weird colours, etc. It could be related. Maybe driver issue?

Also beginning to think that this could be a more general issue not caused by WINE, and therefore would be miscategorised and would benefit from moving Games & Players or Multimedia.

[Edit] Continued here: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-8826522.html#8826522
leylanator
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leylanator wrote:
[Edit] Continued here: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-8826522.html#8826522

Solution: BIOS update was needed (just drag extracted files into a FAT32 flash drive under 32GB, go into BIOS, update from the Q-Flash utility while the flash drive is plugged in (make sure you don't need a specific USB slot, refer to motherboard manual)), (assuming you're using EFI boot) CSM has to be disabled, then in Misc settings the Above 4G Decoding setting has to be enabled for then Resizable BAR support to be set to auto rather than disabled.

This happened due to a freak set of events wherein some games are made to require Resizable BAR from the GPU due to something to do with the kernel, but in the kernel version there's somehow no way of checking if it's even available. So, GPU is told to do the optional impossible, attempts it, games crash. Enabling those settings in BIOS mitigates this issue, as it enables and makes possible what the kernel is calling for the GPU to do.

I could be wrong with the reasoning, though. I am no kernel or driver dev.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: