17.0 -> 23.0 ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:03 am    Post subject: 17.0 -> 23.0 ? Reply with quote

I have an amd64 machine that's still at 17.0 ... is it possible to jump in 1 step or do I have to go to 17.1 first?

Currently trying to make a backup... a complete backup that I can replace the whole machine and hit the ground running if the upgrade fails...
grknight
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the news instructions in full. Unless the starting profile is musl or x32, then yes, 17.1 is required to be done first.

When doing a profile change, read everything first, understand it, then perform. Reading one line at a time may get you stuck.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess this is all news to me, first alerted to this on reddit, since it's out of my upgrade cycle.

Well, that's going to be annoying. Thinking about trying to upgrade the clone first and then do it on the real machine -- that worried about it, it's also the main reason why I haven't upgraded to 17.1 yet in the first place. Unfortunately the clone is on an Atom box.

Wonderful, a --emptytree is required this time around? Is this strictly necessary or if performance isn't an issue, can this be skipped?

Still have:
one 17.0 amd64 box (openrc, split-usr)
one 17.1 amd64 box (systemd, split-usr, old)

None of my machines are x86_64-v3.
Banana
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make a backup. Remember important and custom things. Make it possible to do the backup. With a valid backup and revover strategy you can do anything.

Those system profile changes to sound more complicated as they are. Do as grknight said and take your time. It will work. I've done mine without creating any new backup. Well it is only a personal PC not a work related PC, but in both cases I have a valid backup and recover strategy and would not have any doubts about doing it.

PFL - Portage file list - find which package a file or command belongs to.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think I have 4 machines converted (workstations/laptops that I can power down without qualms.) I did not do the emptytree last step for now.

The two 24/7 "mission critical" 17.0 server and 17.1 PVR are still pending. I did install gcc-13 and binutils-2.41 with USE=cet on the two, so they can still help out with distccd of the other boxes, USE=cet just because it seems like this was the main USE change in the 23.0 profile.

Ironically these two 24/7 machines are the only machines I regularly back up...

And even more odd, the two machines I used to back up the two 24/7 machines I also need to convert to 23.0 (since I don't have enough SATA ports to connect the all the RAIDs), among the other misc boxes that I have lying around...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: