Quest to find a light web browser, not on Webkit
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kgdrenefort
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:31 am    Post subject: Quest to find a light web browser, not on Webkit Reply with quote

Hello,

I have to use, maybe for a while, as my main computer a paper-weight (Asus Chromebook C200M).

Context:

It runs pretty much fine on Gentoo with Xfce.

My main problem is, while compiling (since my binhost is in maintenance actually), I took one core for emerge and it leaves only a single core for the whole system. Having 4Gb of ram, I can't even set -j2 without half of the compilation failing on memory exhaustion.

Firefox, without a compilation beside, is running fine (mostly, regarding the hardware). But once it compiles, it's usable, merely you can't go on Youtube or some awfully website as Reddit. Too much Javascript, I guess, are the main problem here, beside website not optimized.

Technically my computer is less powerful than a Rasperry Pi 4, the only good things is I have an NVMe on it.

---

Quest:

I want a web browser, without Webkit (for different reasons, such as I hate Google and the compilation of webkit is a circle in hell by itself, specially on my paper-weight).

It has to be light, too, removing useless features (who cares if my web browser can read a PDF, seriously ?) as any form of request from the project (as do Mozilla very often, I guess it could leads to useless ressource usage).

Finally, it has to be compatible with plugins as uBlock Origin, or any type of ads filter.

My last experience with another web browser was probably Midori, which was absolutely not able to block a sick kitten, as for ads… It was just a lie to say it was working :).

---

I saw some Firefox's alternatives, such as GNU Icecat, LibreWolf…

But since any compilation would take a while on this machine, I'll avoid to run one if I'm not a bit sure of what I'll use.

Any recommandation ?

---

Alternative question:

Do you think local USE flag as pgo, lto, jumbo-build, beside making the compilation really longer, would help Firefox to be more reactive ? I do not really care about the runtime, firefox compiled with default use flag didn't takes a lot of time. I'm more concerned once it started.

Regards,
GASPARD DE RENEFORT Kévin
kgdrenefort
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying one recommanded on #gentoo-chat, elinks.

So far it seems to works more or less good on forums.gentoo.org (I am replying with it currently, that is a test) and could read wiki.gentoo.org.

Aside I try to compile from git's source dillo-plus.

Regards,
GASPARD DE RENEFORT Kévin
wjb
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use www-client/firefox-bin on my two weakest machines, of which one is a laptop from 2008 with 2G RAM. This might be a bit slow sometimes but can basically handle most things.
C5ace
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try www-client/netsurf.
www.netsurf-browser.org
siljrath
n00b
n00b

Location: the sovereign state of my mostly brown slip on shoes.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides exploring the output of
Code:
eix -cC www-client

another couple ideas I have which may help for the problem examples given:

Regarding reddit: Even on my most powerful running machine, I still swap out the
Code:
for
Code:
old
in the url, to get a much more lightweight smooth running experience.

Regarding youtube: There are proxy sites like piped or those using invidious, as well as there being the ability to play youtube videos, without visiting their website (or any website), e.g. using mpv+yt-dlp, and there are many other tools too (which I'm less familiar with), (and ways to subscribe with rss and more[/code]), such as iirc smtube and others, tuis and guis, much to explore. :)
Zucca

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C5ace wrote:
Try www-client/netsurf.
www.netsurf-browser.org
I can confirm, this is quite a light browser with its own engine. However, more complex sites don't work with it.
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: