I can't find the efistub USE flag for installkernel
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcomcl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:22 pm    Post subject: I can't find the efistub USE flag for installkernel Reply with quote

I'm in the process of trying do my first proper installation on bare metal. Efistub seemed like the least headache because my motherboard seems to have a pretty good UEFI implementation and I've used efistubs before. I'm following the AMD64 handbook, as you do, and it says that installkernel can be configured to automatically generate an efistub and put it in the ESP if you give it the efistub USE flag.
After much headache, reinstalling, and rebooting, I finally realized that the efistub USE flag simply was not present.

Code:

livecd / # equery u installkernel
[ Legend : U - final flag setting for installation]
[        : I - package is installed with flag     ]
[ Colors : set, unset                             ]
 * Found these USE flags for sys-kernel/installkernel-28:
 U I
 + + dracut       : Generate an initrd or UKI on each kernel installation
 - - grub         : Re-generate grub.cfg on each kernel installation, used grub.cfg is overridable with
                    GRUB_CFG env var
 - - refind       : Install a Gentoo icon for rEFInd alongside the (unified) kernel image, used icon is
                    overridable with REFIND_ICON env var
 - - systemd      : Use systemd's kernel-install to install kernels, overridable with SYSTEMD_KERNEL_INSTALL
                    env var
 - - systemd-boot : Use systemd-boot's native layout by default
 + + uki          : Install UKIs to ESP/EFI/Linux for EFI stub booting and/or bootloaders with support for
                    auto-discovering UKIs
 - - ukify        : Build an UKI with systemd's ukify on each kernel installation

Yet online it's a different story. Here's the description of the flag in question.
https://packages.gentoo.org/useflags/efistub
It's the same version ( 28 ) and I've just done an update with emaint --auto sync so I really can't think of any reason why I wouldn't have access to this flag.
Obviously I'm beginner, so I imagine I'm overlooking something obvious. I've been having some other issues with UEFI booting so maybe understanding this one will help fix the rest.
grknight
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not every version has the same USE flags. Version 28 does not have efistub USE while, as of today, 36 does. The output on the packages site is compressed and does not discriminate USE to versions.
jcomcl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, so it does. equery u =sys-kernel/installkernel shows the flag.
A bit confusing that it works like that. At the very least I'd say there's a step missing from the documentation. Though it's a wiki so really I should just add it myself.
AndrewAmmerlaan
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to only being present on the latest version (it is very new still after all), the efistub flag is also stable masked. Meaning enabling it is only possible when you accept testing keywords for sys-kernel/installkernel (even after the latest version will gain stable keywords). This is because I cannot guarantee that it will work always since many UEFI implementations contain quirks which can cause the whole thing to not work at all.

That all being said, please do give it a try and let me know if and how it works for you. I'm intrested in gaining some rough idea of what percentage of systems this actually works on, so far seems about 50/50.
GPU: Intel Arc A770 16GB & Intel UHD Graphics 630
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32GB DDR4-2400
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: