Simplest Internet Sharing possible
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vladimir1986
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:55 pm    Post subject: Simplest Internet Sharing possible Reply with quote

Hello there.

I have a bit of a niche need and I am a bit lost about how to do it.

Basically for my final project at uni, I am working with some old hardware. I need networking and Internet in some of it.

Specifically I am trying to get it into a Win98 machine. It only has a modem, but I purchased a PCMCIA Ethernet card.

I would like know if it is possible to use my Gentoo machine, which connects to the Internet via WiFi, and use the Ethernet card to share the connection with that Win98 (and eventually DOS) machine.

I don't need anything fancy, just the simplest connection, if possible with DHCPD.

Thanks in advance
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vladimir1986,

There are two solutions.

The full blown router. Set up your Gentoo system as a home router.

If Windows 98 understands PPPoE, you can have a PPP link over Ethernet but you won't get DHCP that way.
The setup will need to be static.
Each end of the PPP link will have an IP address in the same subnet as your Gentoo system. Your Gentoo system only does forwarding.

DOS. Did DOS ever have networking?
Sneakernet was popular with DOS.
That's a 3rd solution :)

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Zucca

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... 4th option bridge wired and wireless interfaces on the Gentoo machine.
It should "just work"... although I don't know what the wifi access point (router) thinks when the same wifi client asks for a completely different lease.
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
grknight
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
DOS. Did DOS ever have networking?

Never directly. Other LAN systems did bolt-on but never were meant for the internet.
Today, there are DOS Tools which link up to a limited number of classic networking cards to access the internet.
Banana
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Basically for my final project at uni, I am working with some old hardware. I need networking and Internet in some of it.

If you really need internet access, keep in mind the bad side of it. Event for old systems like that, there are still bad actors who whant to take any machine they can find. If you depend on the working state of your install, make sure you have a backup. Otherwise your project my fail because of some maleware or virus

if you need only files, invest in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sneakernet :-) (oh, neddy already mentioned it) or some smb file sharing: https://kb.iu.edu/d/adjo

PFL - Portage file list - find which package a file or command belongs to.
steve_v
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banana wrote:

if you need only files, invest in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sneakernet

The viability of that depends heavily on media compatibility, a machine running '98 could be PATA and USB1.1 (or even no USB at all), which leaves CDROM or PATA-Flash adaptors (CF cards are nice, but PATA isn't hotplug) as the only real options for a sneakernet that I find bearable.
Meanwhile, bus-mastering 10/100 PCI & PCMCIA NICs exist.

Banana wrote:
smb file sharing: https://kb.iu.edu/d/adjo

I find much better performance with FTP.
IMO securing Windows '98 (especially if SMB is involved) is an oxmoron, and running an ancient FTP server on it can't make it much worse. One might as well assume the box is irredeemably insecure from the get-go and isolate it on it's own (V)LAN, with a NAT gateway/firewall if it needs internet.
Also disk-image backups. '98 is liable to go belly up even without any malware involved (unless you consider internet exploder and active desktop malware OFC :P).
vladimir1986
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, tanks for the replies:

Setting a Static IP is fine. I was spooked by the configuration you seem to need to do with firewalls, etc. Glad if it is easier than that: Win98 is capable enough of PPoE

For now, the PCMCIA card arrived, and actually just works out of the box with an ethernet cable (of course a 10/100mbps, but I don't mind). I used the oldnet proxy to have http connections, and some goodies like internet radio and even some Youtube videos on the old computer. FTP just seems to work, provided I set the server on a computer plugged in into the Network via the cable using a switch.

I used Internet on DOS using Brutman's TCP/IP package, but had not tried it yet on this computer :P. It doesn't work on Windows 3.1 Of course I am guessing that FreeDOS can solve the issue with less headaches!

Of course I understand that Win98 has 0 security. Not like it was very different 25 years ago! There is nothing to miss if I need to reinstall everything! Actually I am hopping that it is now safer due to being a very niche OS on ancient hardware.

The computer has a USB1.0 port, but I rather use it to transfer files

And I hope I got "WiFi" on it. I got this dongle: https://www.tindie.com/products/theoldnet/rs232-serial-wifi-modem-for-vintage-computers-v4/ which gets a WiFi connection and translates/acts as a COM modem via PPP or Slip Modem. No idea if it'll work. It is just that I won't have a Ethernet socket in hand at all times.

I know there where PCMCIA cards with WiFi on them. I actually have two, but none of them support WPA2, and at the moment I live on student accommodation, so I can't play with my router settings. I will try a direct connection with my laptop to see if that works too, as recommended earlier.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vladimir1986,

There are PCMCIA wifi cards too.
They will be much faster than serial port WiFi.

PCCARD will work in a PCMCIA slot but not the other way round. The slots are physically identical.
Take care with what you buy.

I don't know if Win98 supports such a thing though.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: