qtwebengine has over 30,000 items to compile; too long
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tckosvic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:15 pm    Post subject: qtwebengine has over 30,000 items to compile; too long Reply with quote

After updating last week where I upgraded profile to 23.0 and which took 33 hours to rebuild, I thought update today would be short. Except, qtwebengine was an included item in the emerge. That package has 30,000+ separate items that need compiling, linking and installing.

It takes hours to do just that package on an i7 with 5 cpus devoted to emerge. That seems excessive.

Wiki suggests that making a binary for qtwebengine has been a problem. Not sure why that is so because my computer makes a binary satisfactorily but it just takes forever.

Couldn't qtwebengine be broken down into separate modules where the only one needing a rebuild might be one out of a bunch. I can't believe that more than a few items were changed out of 30,000 since last week when it was last rebuilt.

This might make the gentoo purists mad but this is an absurdly long task just for one module. Much longer than the kernels as far as I see.

Thanks for any ideas. tom kosvic
sdauth
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
Do you really need qtwebengine ? 8)
You might be able to get rid of it entirely to avoid those huge compile times. Personally I avoid everything that hard depend on it. Even with jumbo-build, it takes too much time with my potato cpu.
What "equery d qtwebengine" says ?
tckosvic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based upon suggested equery command, equery says "freecad" utilizes qtwebengine. I do have uses for that.

Equery also said that "pyside2" utilized qtwebengiine. I don't knowingly utilize that.

tom kosvic
sdauth
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. Well, freecad "gui" use flag pulls qtwebengine indeed.. So unless you can/want to run freecad headless.. You'll need it sadly :o
Another option would be to use freecad flatpak maybe (If you can tolerate it)
I have no idea about the situation of the qtwebengine binary. It's a rather complex ebuild.. That said, it sure would be great to have it as an option.
tckosvic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freecad is a gui mechanical drafting program. It would not be functional without the gui. Guess, I've got to bear it.

Will look at flatpack but I'm not a big fan of those.

tom kosvic
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: qtwebengine has over 30,000 items to compile; too long Reply with quote

tckosvic wrote:
Wiki suggests that making a binary for qtwebengine has been a problem. Not sure why that is so because my computer makes a binary satisfactorily but it just takes forever.
We *do* have binary packages for (stable) qtwebengine:

https://distfiles.gentoo.org/releases/amd64/binpackages/23.0/x86-64/dev-qt/qtwebengine/

As of the writing of this 6.7.0 is not there yet but given it was recently stabilized the build may be underway as we speak or soon.

On that note, given you mentioned it, freecad is apparently broken with 6.7 so I wouldn't be in a hurry for 6.7. Hopefully maintainer will have time to look soon.

https://bugs.gentoo.org/929973
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/issues/13427

FreeCAD is generally pretty messy on a rolling distro due to PySide6 being crap and lagging behind Qt releases (and then FreeCAD itself doesn't release often for fixes either), I'd honestly recommend the official AppImage, flatpak, or similar. Not to minimize the work that goes into attempting to keep these things working on Gentoo.

Quote:
Couldn't qtwebengine be broken down into separate modules where the only one needing a rebuild might be one out of a bunch. I can't believe that more than a few items were changed out of 30,000 since last week when it was last rebuilt.
Unfortunately that would be completely unmaintainable and horribly hacky to implement. chromium is not designed to be split in parts.

That aside, keeping old objects is what ccache is for. A rebuild will go from taking 2 hours to like 10 minutes. Unfortunately you'll get mostly cache misses on upgrades w/ qtwebengine, so this is primarily only useful for rebuilds (revbumps, rebuilds due to snappy/icu and such). Any minor changes to headers and command lines can invalidate everything. Not something that should be used system-wide (can make things slower), but only on a few troublesome packages or when testing/debugging and frequently rebuilding the same thing.
tckosvic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did just try to start freecad 0.21 and it is broken. Was running at one point.

thanks for your coments.
tckosvic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I removed freecad and qtwebengine using demerge. Did a depclean. ecleaned distfiles.

Then, for a whim, I re-emerged freecad. It took 5 hours to install but it completed. I gave it 7 cpus. Freecad 21.2 starts fine and looks to be running. Haven't tested much but seems to be functional.

FYI, tom kosvic
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tckosvic wrote:
Then, for a whim, I re-emerged freecad. It took 5 hours to install but it completed. I gave it 7 cpus. Freecad 21.2 starts fine and looks to be running. Haven't tested much but seems to be functional.
Good to hear, it was patched to at least build not long ago, but wasn't sure how well it ran given the upstream issue mentioning other problems (imagine it's minor).
hunky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite happy with the appimage of Freecad.. works just fine for me. Your mileage may vary.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: