[SOLVED] Epson Perfection V600 Scanner on Gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NismoC32
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:22 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Epson Perfection V600 Scanner on Gentoo Reply with quote

Anyone here who have managed to to get the Epson Perfection V600 to work in Gentoo ?

I have no problem installing the iscan but iscan-plugin-gt-x820 gives me this error:

Quote:
ERROR: media-gfx/iscan-plugin-gt-x820-2.2.0.1::gentoo failed (postinst phase):
* (no error message)
* Call stack:
* ebuild.sh, line 136: Called pkg_postinst
* environment, line 598: Called die
* The specific snippet of code:
* iscan-registry --add interpreter usb 0x04b8 0x013a /opt/iscan/lib/libesintA1 /usr/share/iscan/esfwA1.bin || die;
* If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=media-gfx/iscan-plugin-gt-x820-2.2.0.1::gentoo'`,
* the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=media-gfx/iscan-plugin-gt-x820-2.2.0.1::gentoo'`.
* The complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/iscan-plugin-gt-x820-2.2.0.1/temp/build.log'.
* The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/iscan-plugin-gt-x820-2.2.0.1/temp/environment'.
* Working directory: '/var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/iscan-plugin-gt-x820-2.2.0.1/empty'
* S: '/var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/iscan-plugin-gt-x820-2.2.0.1/work'

The files in the package seems to be installed to the /opt/iscan and the /usr/share/iscan/ folder.
I tied to install iscan-data in case it contained the iscan-registry program mentioned in the the plugin error,
but iscan-data fails to install too:

Quote:
make[1]: Leaving directory '/var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/iscan-data-1.39.0.1/work/iscan-data-1.39.0'
>>> Source compiled.
>>> Test phase [not enabled]: media-gfx/iscan-data-1.39.0.1

>>> Install media-gfx/iscan-data-1.39.0.1 into /var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/iscan-data-1.39.0.1/image
* Some profiles automatically enable udev which will cause install
* to fail if media-gfx/sane-backends is not already installed.
make -j30 DESTDIR=/var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/iscan-data-1.39.0.1/image install
Making install in policy
make[1]: Entering directory '/var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/iscan-data-1.39.0.1/work/iscan-data-1.39.0/policy'
make[2]: Entering directory '/var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/iscan-data-1.39.0.1/work/iscan-data-1.39.0/policy'
test -z "/usr/lib64/iscan-data" || /usr/bin/mkdir -p "/var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/iscan-data-1.39.0.1/image/usr/lib64/iscan-data"
test -z "/usr/share/iscan-data" || /usr/bin/mkdir -p "/var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/iscan-data-1.39.0.1/image/usr/share/iscan-data"
/usr/lib/portage/python3.11/ebuild-helpers/xattr/install -c 'make-policy-file' '/var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/iscan-data-1.39.0.1/image/usr/lib64/iscan-data/make-policy-file'
/usr/lib/portage/python3.11/ebuild-helpers/xattr/install -c -m 644 'sled10.custom.fdi' '/var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/iscan-data-1.39.0.1/image/usr/share/iscan-data/sled10.custom.fdi'
/usr/lib/portage/python3.11/ebuild-helpers/xattr/install -c -m 644 'fdi.xsl' '/var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/iscan-data-1.39.0.1/image/usr/share/iscan-data/fdi.xsl'
make[2]: Leaving directory '/var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/iscan-data-1.39.0.1/work/iscan-data-1.39.0/policy'
make[1]: Leaving directory '/var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/iscan-data-1.39.0.1/work/iscan-data-1.39.0/policy'
make[1]: Entering directory '/var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/iscan-data-1.39.0.1/work/iscan-data-1.39.0'
make[2]: Entering directory '/var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/iscan-data-1.39.0.1/work/iscan-data-1.39.0'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for 'install-exec-am'.
test -z "/usr/share/iscan-data" || /usr/bin/mkdir -p "/var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/iscan-data-1.39.0.1/image/usr/share/iscan-data"
/usr/lib/portage/python3.11/ebuild-helpers/xattr/install -c -m 644 'epkowa.desc' '/var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/iscan-data-1.39.0.1/image/usr/share/iscan-data/epkowa.desc'
/usr/lib/portage/python3.11/ebuild-helpers/xattr/install -c -m 644 'usb' '/var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/iscan-data-1.39.0.1/image/usr/share/iscan-data/usb'
/usr/lib/portage/python3.11/ebuild-helpers/xattr/install -c -m 644 'scsi' '/var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/iscan-data-1.39.0.1/image/usr/share/iscan-data/scsi'
/usr/lib/portage/python3.11/ebuild-helpers/xattr/install -c -m 644 'fs-blacklist' '/var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/iscan-data-1.39.0.1/image/usr/share/iscan-data/fs-blacklist'
make install-data-hook
make[3]: Entering directory '/var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/iscan-data-1.39.0.1/work/iscan-data-1.39.0'
if test ! -d /var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/iscan-data-1.39.0.1/image//usr/share/iscan-data/device; then \
/usr/bin/mkdir -p /var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/iscan-data-1.39.0.1/image//usr/share/iscan-data/device; \
fi
/usr/lib/portage/python3.11/ebuild-helpers/xattr/install -c -m 644 ./device/*.xml \
/var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/iscan-data-1.39.0.1/image//usr/share/iscan-data/device
if test x'yes' != x && test -f ./matching; then \
if test ! -d /var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/iscan-data-1.39.0.1/image//var/lib/lib/iscan-data; then \
/usr/bin/mkdir -p /var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/iscan-data-1.39.0.1/image//var/lib/lib/iscan-data; \
fi; \
/usr/lib/portage/python3.11/ebuild-helpers/xattr/install -c -m 644 ./matching /var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/iscan-data-1.39.0.1/image//var/lib/lib/iscan-data/; \
fi
make[3]: Leaving directory '/var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/iscan-data-1.39.0.1/work/iscan-data-1.39.0'
make[2]: Leaving directory '/var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/iscan-data-1.39.0.1/work/iscan-data-1.39.0'
make[1]: Leaving directory '/var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/iscan-data-1.39.0.1/work/iscan-data-1.39.0'
make-policy-file: warning: cannot find udev policy template in default locations
make-policy-file: warning: use --template option to specify a file
* ERROR: media-gfx/iscan-data-1.39.0.1::gentoo failed (install phase):
* (no error message)
* Call stack:
* ebuild.sh, line 136: Called src_install
* environment, line 1187: Called die
* "${D}/usr/$(get_libdir)/iscan-data/make-policy-file" --force --mode udev -d "${D}/usr/share/iscan-data/epkowa.desc" -o "${D}${rulesdir}/99-iscan.rules" || die;
* If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=media-gfx/iscan-data-1.39.0.1::gentoo'`,
* the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=media-gfx/iscan-data-1.39.0.1::gentoo'`.
* The complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/iscan-data-1.39.0.1/temp/build.log'.
* The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/iscan-data-1.39.0.1/temp/environment'.
* Working directory: '/var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/iscan-data-1.39.0.1/work/iscan-data-1.39.0'
* S: '/var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/iscan-data-1.39.0.1/work/iscan-data-1.39.0'

>>> Failed to emerge media-gfx/iscan-data-1.39.0.1, Log file:

>>> '/var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/iscan-data-1.39.0.1/temp/build.log'

* Messages for package media-gfx/iscan-data-1.39.0.1:

* Some profiles automatically enable udev which will cause install
* to fail if media-gfx/sane-backends is not already installed.
* ERROR: media-gfx/iscan-data-1.39.0.1::gentoo failed (install phase):
* (no error message)
* Call stack:
* ebuild.sh, line 136: Called src_install
* environment, line 1187: Called die
* "${D}/usr/$(get_libdir)/iscan-data/make-policy-file" --force --mode udev -d "${D}/usr/share/iscan-data/epkowa.desc" -o "${D}${rulesdir}/99-iscan.rules" || die;
* If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=media-gfx/iscan-data-1.39.0.1::gentoo'`,
* the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=media-gfx/iscan-data-1.39.0.1::gentoo'`.
* The complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/iscan-data-1.39.0.1/temp/build.log'.
* The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/iscan-data-1.39.0.1/temp/environment'.
* Working directory: '/var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/iscan-data-1.39.0.1/work/iscan-data-1.39.0'
* S: '/var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/iscan-data-1.39.0.1/work/iscan-data-1.39.0'

scanimage -L gives me this:
Quote:
No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).

So the driver can not be available to saned at this point.

Can anyone here help me?

Last edited by NismoC32 on Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See bug #860279.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That explains why it works here. I don't use udev.

I have to use media-gfx/iscan-2.X as media-gfx/iscan-3.x has a hard dependency on udev, so as expected, it won't build for me.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
NismoC32
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks fedeliallalinea for the link :-)
I did what Jared B. suggested in Bug 860279 and installed the epsonscanner2 packages

Installed eselect-repository since i did not have it from before.
Code:
emerge eselect-repository

And added slonko repositoty:
Code:
eselect repository enable slonko

sync portage
Code:
emerge --sync

Install these two packages (It might add some dependency packages)
Code:
emerge epsonscan2
emerge epsonscan2-non-free-plugin

And that was it.
I just run the Epson Scan 2 from the app menu.
I have not tested if kde-misc/skanlite or other scan programs works.

I have marked this tread as solved, since I think this works fine.
I agree with Jared B. that epsonscanner2 should replace the old iscan in Gentoo portage.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: