sysklogd refuses to stop on shutdown/reboot
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paraw
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:28 am    Post subject: sysklogd refuses to stop on shutdown/reboot Reply with quote

Hi all, I installed Gentoo on a new machine and, as per title, when I halt it or reboot it, sysklogd refuses to stop, hanging the computer and forcing me to shut it down by keeping the power button pressed for 5 seconds. I have no idea what to look for, and nothing seems relevant in the logs. To add to the confusion, the problem happens very often, but not always, and I couldn't figure out the conditions for a reliable reproduction of the bug. When it's triggered, what I get is

Code:
[...]
* Stopping cronie ...
* Stopping sysklogd ...
* start-stop-daemon: 1 process refused to stop
* Failed to stop sysklogd
* ERROR: sysklogd refused to stop
* Stopping chronyd ...
* Stopping bluetooth ...
* Stopping dbus ...

and then the machine hangs. I would be grateful for any suggestions as to what to look into.
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you manually stop sysklogd before initiating the halt (and, if necessary, SIGKILL it to be sure it is dead), does the system still hang when you halt? This will tell us whether the problem is that sysklogd inhibits proper shutdown, or if something else is broken and the sysklogd issue is only a nuisance.
paraw
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
If you manually stop sysklogd before initiating the halt (and, if necessary, SIGKILL it to be sure it is dead), does the system still hang when you halt? This will tell us whether the problem is that sysklogd inhibits proper shutdown, or if something else is broken and the sysklogd issue is only a nuisance.

If I kill sysklogd and then halt (or reboot), everything proceeds well.
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have network mounts that sysklogd might be blocked on due to shutdown ordering?
paraw
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
Do you have network mounts that sysklogd might be blocked on due to shutdown ordering?

No, everything is local. I'm thinking about adding --retry 20 (or more) in /etc/init.d/sysklogd, like for the old fail2ban bug, but at this point I'm shooting in the dark, and still have no idea why it happens most of but not all the times.
grknight
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paraw wrote:
Hu wrote:

No, everything is local. I'm thinking about adding --retry 20 (or more) in /etc/init.d/sysklogd, like for the old fail2ban bug, but at this point I'm shooting in the dark, and still have no idea why it happens most of but not all the times.

This should be retry="20" in /etc/conf.d/sysklogd so that the syntax is picked up correctly
paraw
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And... nope! The retry trick does not fix it. Is there any way I can get some debug information as to why sysklogd refuses to die when shutting down? Or should I maybe just try switching to metalog or syslog-ng?
paraw
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, so, I have no idea what the problem was, but I just switched sysklogd with metalog and all works fine now. I'm not sure whether I should mark the thread as solved, because I didn't really fix the original problem with sysklogd. At the same time, I'm not sure how to file a bug about it, since I couldn't even trigger it reliably. So... still no clue, even though I have a working workaround.
pwnenuser
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its happening with me to
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: