Updating @world set is now optional?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
st834
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:50 pm    Post subject: Updating @world set is now optional? Reply with quote

Hi,

I use the Gentoo Handbook (https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64) as an instruction for installing Gentoo.

In the "Installing the Gentoo base system" step (https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Base), update the system
Code:
emerge --ask --verbose --update --deep --newuse @world

after you select and install a profile in the new revision of Handbook, it is marked as optional. In the previous edition, it was mandatory. Unfortunately, I could not attach screenshots here, but this can be seen from the table of contents and the text of the page to which I cited the link.

I decided to formally follow this guide and missed the @world set update step and moved on to the next step - kernel setup.

It turned out that without updating the @world set, I do not have fundamental packages (for example, systemd), without which it is impossible to perform further steps.

Question: Why is the update of the @ world kit now marked as optional in the new version of the installation guide? Maybe I misunderstood the Handbook? If I were installing Gentoo for the first time, I would no doubt miss this step, as it is now described.

I am grateful for any clarification!
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You most likely chose a stage3 tarball that didn't match the profile you later selected.

Best Regards,
Georgi
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

st834,

Code:
Optional: Updating the @world set

Updating the system's @world set is optional and will be unlikely to perform functional changes unless one or more of the following optional steps have been performed:

A profile target different from the stage file has been selected.
    Additional USE flags have been set for installed packages.

Readers who are performing an 'install Gentoo speed run' may safely skip @world set updates until after their system has rebooted into the new Gentoo environment.

If you didn't change the configuration, the @world update can be delayed until after your reboot.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
st834
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Georgi, thank you very much for your answer!

I used a stage3 file (there are not many of them) for systemd, desktop, merged-usr and a new profile (there are many of them) 23.0 for systemd, desktop, plasma, merged-usr. I thought it might be necessary to use the old 17.0 profiles, which I would not like.

Thanks!

Best regards,
Sergei
st834
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, NeddySeagoon, thanks a lot for your answer!

I read this guide. During the installation of a new system, at this stage, I select a new profile, USE flags and another variables. Here a set of packages is formed, which will be installed and used in the system.

Understand I correctly that in this case, as before, updating the @world (
Code:
) set is mandatory?

Thanks!
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

st834,

A new install starts with a stage3 tarball. Stage3 tarballs exist for several different profiles. The profile will be set in the stage3
If its a /17.x/ profile, stay on /17.x/ profiles until your install can boot, then follow the news item for upgrading to /23.0/.

The profile upgrade requires rebuilding the entire install, so if your new install is using the old profile, there is little point in choosing a new profile, setting USE flags and updating @world, just to rebuild all of @world again anyway.

If you have a stage3 with a 23.0 profile, you don't need to do the 17.x to 23.0 upgrade as it's free with the stage3.

Changing from a 17.x to a 23.0 profile is a lot more than selecting the new profile

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
apiaio
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A new install starts with a stage3 tarball. Stage3 tarballs exist for several different profiles.

I have decided not to upgrade to 23.0 profile but to make the new installation on the same volume on my PC.
How could I find a stage3 tarball with 23.0 profile?
pietinger

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apiaio wrote:
Quote:
A new install starts with a stage3 tarball. Stage3 tarballs exist for several different profiles.

I have decided not to upgrade to 23.0 profile but to make the new installation on the same volume on my PC.
How could I find a stage3 tarball with 23.0 profile?

AFAIK it is included in our yesterdays uploads: https://www.gentoo.org/downloads/
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-releng confirmed that (for amd64) stage3 tarballs with a date stamp 24-March-2024 and later are 23.0 profile based.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
st834
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the answers. Today I will test the new tarball, and write about the results here.

Best regards
st834
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, yesterday, as I wrote here, I tested a new profile. The results are not optimistic for me. Installation steps before installation the kernel went as usual and without problems.

When compiling the kernel, I performed the making steps:

Code:
emerge --ask sys-kernel/linux-firmware
emerge --ask sys-kernel/gentoo-sources

emerge --ask sys-kernel/installkernel

make
make install
make modules_install

All steps were completed successfully except
Code:
make install
Here, instead of three files (kernel-6.6.21-gentoo, System.map, config-6-6-21-gentoo) as before, I receive in /boot only one kernel-6.6.21-gentoo and many information messages on the entire screen. I tried to redirect it to a file to show it here, but these messages are not redirected to the file. In the file I have only
Code:
INSTALL/boot
+depmod 6.6.21-gentoo

Attempts to reinstall sys-kernell/installkernel with the USE systemd-boot flag (as it is written in the news) entails reinstalling systemd with the
Code:
boot
flag, which leads to an error loading the dev-python/puelftools dependency. This is my actual state now. The kernel is compiled but not installed.

At the same time, I take only standard steps at my test installation, shown in the Handbook as mandatory. Previously, they always led to a positive result. I have only two differences this time from previous successful installations:

- profile 23.0
- skipping step
Code:
after selecting a new profile (this action is now marked as optional in the manual).

I would be grateful to any answers that I do not work correctly, so as to bring the installation with the new profile into working state.

Thanks!
grknight
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

st834 wrote:
Hi, yesterday, as I wrote here, I tested a new profile. The results are not optimistic for me. Installation steps before installation the kernel went as usual and without problems.

When compiling the kernel, I performed the making steps:
Code:
emerge --ask sys-kernel/linux-firmware
emerge --ask sys-kernel/gentoo-sources

emerge --ask sys-kernel/installkernel

make
make install
make modules_install

All steps were completed successfully except
Code:
make install
Here, instead of three files (kernel-6.6.21-gentoo, System.map, config-6-6-21-gentoo) as before, I receive in /boot only one kernel-6.6.21-gentoo and many information messages on the entire screen. I tried to redirect it to a file to show it here, but these messages are not redirected to the file. In the file I have only
Code:
INSTALL/boot
+depmod 6.6.21-gentoo

The profile has nothing to do with any of this. If you want the old behavior of installkernel, then disable all of the USE on sys-kernel/installkernel including systemd and systemd-boot.
st834
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply.

But it is normal, from the point of view of the new behavior of installkernel, that only the kernel file will go into /boot, System.map is assembled, but remains in the lyrectory of the kernel sources? I could not rebuild the packages (installkernel with systemd-boot, systemd with boot) with the new flags they were disabled initially.
grknight
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

st834 wrote:
Thank you for your reply.

But it is normal, from the point of view of the new behavior of installkernel, that only the kernel file will go into /boot, System.map is assembled, but remains in the lyrectory of the kernel sources?

With the systemd USE on sys-kernel/installkernel, installkernel bypasses what it has done in the past and just calls systemd's kernel-install. I have no idea what systemd does at that point as I don't use it. I was just noting that it wasn't what your were expecting and what is likely the cause of it.

There is an easy test to see if this is the case. From the kernel directory, run:
Code:
SYSTEMD_KERNEL_INSTALL=0 make install
st834
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand, thanks a lot for the answer. Today I will try to go further and look, how the grub will react to this installation.
st834
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried yesterday, the bootloader was installed, the system started. Thanks so much for your help. Now it remains to read in detail an article about the features of installkernel.

Thanks a lot!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: