View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using up-to-date, stable, -bin version of both Thunderbird and Firefox. They are stable, usable, and otherwise normal. If the user-compiled versions are having problems, I'd suggest it might be too aggressive USE flags on these programs or other supporting components leading to instability.
amd64/23.0/split-usr/desktop (stable), OpenRC, -systemd -pulseaudio -uefi
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tld wrote:
grknight wrote:
tld wrote:
With my personal account ONLY (the work one is fine), I'll occasionally suddenly get a bunch of new emails in my inbox that may have arrived as much as a day earlier. Based on the dates in those emails, they clearly got to my mail server when they should have, so no question it's TB just not picking them up in time. Drives me nuts.

This may or may not be the case, however the date listed by TB is only when it was sent by a User-Agent (mail program). Such a date is not reliable when diagnosing timing issues. Have you been checking the Received lines in the raw headers view (Ctrl+U) of such mails? That will show the real progress between servers.
Yes. When this has happened those received lines have proven that it got to my mail server shortly after it was sent, and TB didn't pick it up...on occasion for the better part of a day.

Nothing about this surprises me given the mozilla devs and their bloated POS rust-ridden bullshit. If it wasn't for the fact that I still need to be able to reply to work emails using HTML (don't even get me started about my hatred for that crap), I'd be using something like claws mail for sure and would never send another non-plain-test email in this lifetime.

Tom
While I've not experienced the issues others reported here with 115.6.0 this nonsense described above is really starting to piss me off. I just got nine emails sent from various sources five minutes ago, and they're all from yesterday, and for sure were received on my mail server at that time. Earlier this morning I literally did Shift-F5 to make sure there was nothing new. This has been going on for me with TB for a long time. WTF?? The mozilla devs are idiots.

Tom
The Main Man
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using compiled version, never had any issues, I'm not sure why so many people are reporting problems.
<3
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

figueroa wrote:
I'm using up-to-date, stable, -bin version of both Thunderbird and Firefox. They are stable, usable, and otherwise normal. If the user-compiled versions are having problems, I'd suggest it might be too aggressive USE flags on these programs or other supporting components leading to instability.

I figured you might be on to something so I recompiled removing all my use flags for firefox except -telemetry.

Code:
$ emerge -pv firefox

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
Dependency resolution took 1.79 s (backtrack: 0/20).

[ebuild   R   ~] www-client/firefox-122.0:rapid::gentoo  USE="X clang dbus gmp-autoupdate jack jumbo-build pulseaudio system-av1 system-harfbuzz system-icu system-jpeg system-libevent system-libvpx system-webp wayland -debug -eme-free -geckodriver -hardened -hwaccel -libproxy -lto -openh264 -pgo (-selinux) -sndio -system-png (-system-python-libs) -telemetry (-valgrind) -wifi" L10N="-ach -af -an -ar -ast -az -be -bg -bn -br -bs -ca -ca-valencia -cak -cs -cy -da -de -dsb -el -en-CA -en-GB -eo -es-AR -es-CL -es-ES -es-MX -et -eu -fa -ff -fi -fr -fur -fy -ga -gd -gl -gn -gu -he -hi -hr -hsb -hu -hy -ia -id -is -it -ja -ka -kab -kk -km -kn -ko -lij -lt -lv -mk -mr -ms -my -nb -ne -nl -nn -oc -pa -pl -pt-BR -pt-PT -rm -ro -ru -sc -sco -si -sk -sl -son -sq -sr -sv -szl -ta -te -th -tl -tr -trs -uk -ur -uz -vi -xh -zh-CN -zh-TW" 0 KiB

Firefox is still acing wonky. I guess I can try the binary package to see if that works better.

It could be some other underlying dependency that is causing the issue as you suggest but I'm not sure how I'd be able to find the culprit.
<3
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an update I've been running Firefox-bin with no problems. I still have the non-binary version of thunderbird installed. I am going to try out the binary version of thunderbird to see if that solves my issues.
<3
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<3 wrote:
As an update I've been running Firefox-bin with no problems. I still have the non-binary version of thunderbird installed. I am going to try out the binary version of thunderbird to see if that solves my issues.

I guess the issue is not with my use flags, as you can see with my earlier post, I don't have anything unusual in my use flags enabled. Firefox-bin works without any issues but thunderbird-bin seems to have the same issue as thunderbird. I do have some packages that I have unmasked though, I'm not sure if it could be related to that. I have no idea which package would be causing this issue though.
figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest that some Thunderbird users with problems related to mailserver issues, that the problem may be in the mailserver. I'm running Thunderbird-bin 115.7.0 and may own IMAP mailserver (courier, postfix, procmail) and continue to experience no untoward issues.

ADDED: I also read IMAP with Thunderbird directly from other different external services (gmail, vivaldi, proton) also working normally with Thunderbird.
amd64/23.0/split-usr/desktop (stable), OpenRC, -systemd -pulseaudio -uefi
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

figueroa wrote:
I suggest that some Thunderbird users with problems related to mailserver issues, that the problem may be in the mailserver. I'm running Thunderbird-bin 115.7.0 and may own IMAP mailserver (courier, postfix, procmail) and continue to experience no untoward issues.

ADDED: I also read IMAP with Thunderbird directly from other different external services (gmail, vivaldi, proton) also working normally with Thunderbird.

I'm running thunderbird (non-binary) with my own dovecot IMAP server - no problems.
<3
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I ma the only person having GUI issues in both firefox and thunderbird?
Skippy204
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings.

I started this thread and it's time I get back around to it. The busy of life has been happening.

Anyhow, after restoring my system I later updated thunderbird.

I am currently on 115.9.0.

The tabs are now restoring without problem however it's still slower than normal when making new folders. I do have to wonder if the slowness problem is related to:

1. The fact that I have so many emails and email accounts.

or

2. The fact that I started using Thunderbird.... 15-20 years ago and my config folder is populated with old files that might be causing conflict or bogging things down.

I set up Thunderbird as a different user and added some of my email accounts and it's not near as slow. Thus I'm not certain I can completely or partially blame Thunderbird for the slowness of response.

When I updated this time I did change two use flags.

I removed clang. I added openh264.

I have zero evidence either of these actions solved the problem of tabs not restoring.

Being as Firefox has crept into this thread I can report that I use Firefox very often and that is working fine for me.

Code:

[I] www-client/firefox
     Available versions:
     (esr)  115.8.0 115.9.0 115.9.1
     (rapid) (~)122.0.1 (~)123.0.1-r1{xpak} (~)124.0{xpak} (~)124.0.1{xpak}

Installed versions:  124.0.1(rapid){xpak}(09:54:10 PM 03/23/2024)(X clang dbus gmp-autoupdate jumbo-build system-av1 system-harfbuzz system-icu system-jpeg system-libevent system-webp telemetry -debug -eme-free -geckodriver -hardened -hwaccel -jack -libproxy -lto -openh264 -pgo -pulseaudio -selinux -sndio -system-libvpx -system-png -system-python-libs -valgrind -wayland -wifi CPU_FLAGS_ARM="-neon" L10N="-ach -af -an -ar -ast -az -be -bg -bn -br -bs -ca -ca-valencia -cak -cs -cy -da -de -dsb -el -en-CA -en-GB -eo -es-AR -es-CL -es-ES -es-MX -et -eu -fa -ff -fi -fr -fur -fy -ga -gd -gl -gn -gu -he -hi -hr -hsb -hu -hy -ia -id -is -it -ja -ka -kab -kk -km -kn -ko -lij -lt -lv -mk -mr -ms -my -nb -ne -nl -nn -oc -pa -pl -pt-BR -pt-PT -rm -ro -ru -sc -sco -si -sk -sl -son -sq -sr -sv -szl -ta -te -th -tl -tr -trs -uk -ur -uz -vi -xh -zh-CN -zh-TW" LLVM_SLOT="17 -16")
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: