View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dejv2024
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:50 pm    Post subject: (Solved) LXQT keyring Reply with quote

Hello, becouse my computer has only 8GB RAM I needed to lighten my system so I installed LXQT. I'm satisfied, but I was used to their keyring in the GNOME environment and I don't know if LXQT has something like that too. Once I import the passwords they disappear very quickly. I searched for a solution but in vain. Do you have any idea? Thanks in advance for any response.

Last edited by Dejv2024 on Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: LXQT keyring Reply with quote

Dejv2024 wrote:
Hello, becouse my computer has only 8GB RAM I needed to lighten my system so I installed LXQT. I'm satisfied, but I was used to their keyring in the GNOME environment and I don't know if LXQT has something like that too.

It does not have its own implementation, but you should be able to use 'gnome-base/gnome-keyring' for example, which I imagine GNOME might be using by default as well.

It is currently suggested by the 'x11-misc/pcmanfm-qt' ebuild, if it is not already installed. I believe it can use other keyrings, too, though only the one is suggested at this time.

Whether or not you even use PCManFM-Qt as your file-manager, I would guess you should be able to use the keyring of your choice (I never really use those myself).

Quote:
Once I import the passwords they disappear very quickly.

Where exactly do they disappear from?
Dejv2024
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: LXQT keyring Reply with quote

Chiitoo wrote:
Dejv2024 wrote:
Hello, becouse my computer has only 8GB RAM I needed to lighten my system so I installed LXQT. I'm satisfied, but I was used to their keyring in the GNOME environment and I don't know if LXQT has something like that too.

It does not have its own implementation, but you should be able to use 'gnome-base/gnome-keyring' for example, which I imagine GNOME might be using by default as well.

It is currently suggested by the 'x11-misc/pcmanfm-qt' ebuild, if it is not already installed. I believe it can use other keyrings, too, though only the one is suggested at this time.

Whether or not you even use PCManFM-Qt as your file-manager, I would guess you should be able to use the keyring of your choice (I never really use those myself).

Quote:
Once I import the passwords they disappear very quickly.

Where exactly do they disappear from?

I tried to ask ChatGPT and there are 3 solutions:

1) 1. **Install a Keyring Manager for LXQt**

LXQt doesn't come with a keyring manager installed by default like GNOME does. You can install a keyring manager such as `kwallet` or `seahorse` to manage your passwords and keys. For example, you can install `kwallet` by running:

```
sudo emerge -av kde-plasma/kwalletmanager
```

Or you can install `seahorse`:

```
sudo emerge -av app-crypt/seahorse
```

2) 2. **Configure Existing Keyring Software**

If you prefer to continue using GNOME Keyring, you can configure it to start automatically when you log in to LXQt. You may need to add the appropriate command to your LXQt autostart configuration. You can typically do this by adding a `.desktop` file to the `~/.config/autostart/` directory. Here's an example `.desktop` file:

```
[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=GNOME Keyring
Exec=/usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon --start --components=secrets
. . .

Save this file as `gnome-keyring.desktop` in `~/.config/autostart/`. This should start GNOME Keyring when you log in to LXQt.

3) 3. **Switch to Another Keyring Manager**

If neither GNOME Keyring nor other available keyring managers suit your needs, you might consider looking into other options like `pass`, `keepassxc`, or `bitwarden`. These are more generic password managers but can serve a similar purpose.

Choose the method that best fits your workflow and preferences.

---: I tried 1 and 2 but it still do not work. I have passwords saved in csv file which I reload if I need it, but in Google Chrome it disappears when I close password manager.
grknight
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is likely Google Chrome integrates with app-crypt/libsecret (since it is GTK based).
libsecret pulls virtual/secret-service. This defaults to gnome-keyring, but will accept keepassxc if installed first as well.

For me, Vivaldi, chromium based, will keep passwords and I have both keepassxc and libsecret intsalled.
Dejv2024
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grknight wrote:
It is likely Google Chrome integrates with app-crypt/libsecret (since it is GTK based).
libsecret pulls virtual/secret-service. This defaults to gnome-keyring, but will accept keepassxc if installed first as well.

For me, Vivaldi, chromium based, will keep passwords and I have both keepassxc and libsecret intsalled.

Ok so i solved this by installing Bitwarden extension, so it is solved for me. Thanks for your time.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: