Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
How do you guys manage dwm custom config?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wewfus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:01 am    Post subject: How do you guys manage dwm custom config? Reply with quote

Hello, I am wondering how fellow dwm users on gentoo manage their installs. I know about the savedconfig USE flag and dropping patches into the usual directories to apply them during updates/install. So I don't need advice on that front.

I am setting up a new laptop and it has been a couple of years since I ran Gentoo on anything. I am considering foregoing using portage to install/manage dwm and pulling it directly from git instead. Then compiling it from my /home along with the multiple patches I want to apply. But I am wondering how other people do their own configs for it with Gentoo. I'd really like to allow portage to manage it and don't mind using older/stable version (or using 9999). But in the past I've run into some problems getting conflicting patches to apply as-is through portage.

How do you guys manage your dwm/dmenu installs on Gentoo?
Kresni
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just have a folder for all the suckless software that I use on my system, and I build/install them manually. Just putting the necessary commands
Code:
make clean
make all
sudo make install

inside a shell script file does the job for me. You could theoretically use portage to do this, but as you add more and more patches you will eventually have some conflicts. At that point, you will need to manually patch stuff anyway. I guess if you have a relatively simple dwm/st build it could work out fine.

Also, portage will try to install dwm/st/dmenu if you try to install something that depends on it, even though you manually installed it. You can let portage know that a package is manually installed by putting the package name inside "/etc/portage/profile/package.provided" , which is also mentioned here in the wiki.
Code:
# add suckless programs that are manually installed
x11-misc/dmenu-5.2
x11-terms/st-0.9
x11-misc/tabbed-0.7
x11-misc/slock-1.5

This should be enough to maintain suckless software in Gentoo, they do not get updates very frequently though. :P
Ralphred
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always use ebuild to do it:
Code:
ebuild /var/db/repos/gentoo/x11-wm/dwm/dwm-X.Y.ebuild prepare
cd /var/tmp/portage/x11-wm/dwm-X.Y/work/
cp -aux dwm-X.Y dwm-X.Y.orig

At this point apply your patches and config changes (including any hand-holding) in the dwm-X.Y directory, then run diff on that and the original to create a single "my.patch" file to drop in /etc/portage/patches.

This might sound convoluted but the machine that needs those patches and config to work properly has no mouse or keyboard, so making the whole thing portable is easier for me.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: