View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pabloblo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:34 pm    Post subject: apps Reply with quote

Hello, I don't know if you are in stable or testing version but I can't find all the applications I need in the repositories, for my part I am in stable, what do you recommend for having additional applications?
CaptainBlood
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plz read Wiki to allow app that are not stable.

Thks 4 ur attention, interest & support
pabloblo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello, thx captain, i go read this to install news apps
Hu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend you identify what additional applications you want and cannot find, so that we can provide more targeted guidance.
pabloblo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello hu, yes I would like to install telegram desktop, latte-dock and bitwarden
flexibeast
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Telegram is available in the main ('gentoo') repo, via the packages `net-im/telegram-desktop` and `net-im/telegram-desktop-bin`. The former has 4.15.0 marked as stable on amd64; the latter has 4.15.0 marked as testing on amd64.

kde-misc/latte-dock is in the main repo, with only 0.10.77_p20230115 available, marked as testing.

Bitwarden is in the main repo, via the package `app-admin/bitwarden-desktop-bin`, with only 2024.2.0 available, marked as testing.

Note that a package being in 'testing' doesn't inherently mean that it's not yet usable; i use many 'testing' packages without issues. And one doesn't need to switch entirely to using 'testing' - instead, one can generally use 'stable' packages, but allow individual packages currently in the 'testing' state, by adding relevant entries (e.g. a line "app-admin/bitwarden-desktop-bin") to an arbitrarily-named file in the /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords/ directory.
pabloblo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you very much, you are talking about a main repository, are there secondary ones? let's imagine I would like to install discord, is there a solution?
flexibeast
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, in addition to the 'gentoo' repo, there's the 'GURU' repo:

Quote:
The goal of the GURU project is to create an official repository of new Gentoo packages that are maintained collaboratively by Gentoo users. It follows the tradition of Sunrise project but aims to improve its maintainability by reducing the involvement of Gentoo developers and letting experienced contributors take care of reviewing work of others.

and then there are many other repositories (around 400, at the moment), known as 'overlays', which are not 'official' and are instead created and maintained by Gentoo users - they're listed on the gpo.zugaina.org Web site. (i maintain such an overlay myself.) Further information on the Gentoo wiki.

i highly recommend setting up 'eix' to easily search for available packages in the various repositories. It's a bit of work, but i've found the end result to be very useful.
pabloblo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I have another question about applications, how do we install a tarball? in which folder should I decompress?
flexibeast
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pabloblo wrote:
how do we install a tarball? in which folder should I decompress?

It varies, from some software needing to be unpacked in a very specific location, through to other software being able to be unpacked and run from anywhere. Some software will provide the ability to do a 'make install', which will install the various components into the various correct locations on the system; other software will expect you to manually copy a single binary to somewhere in your PATH.

Usually a README or INSTALL document will be available at the same location from which you downloaded the software, that will provide the relevant details. If not, one or both of those files might be available in the tarball itself - assuming GNU tar, you can list the contents of an uncompressed tarball via:

Code:
$ tar -t -f tarball.tar
pabloblo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah ok, I found how to do it, I put a .desktop in /usr/share/application and I put the app folder in /usr/share, I granted the right rights and it works
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: