View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
InvisibleRasta
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:31 pm    Post subject: gnome-shell crashing when moving icons on my dock Reply with quote

I am running gnome-shell-44.3 on x11 with no extensions enabled and when I try to move icons on the gnome dock it restarts my gnome shell. When moving the icon the mouse cursor changes from being an arrow to an X, after that it just crashes/restarts the whole gnome shell and the icon does not move. Not sure how to troubleshoot it.

gnome-shell --version
GNOME Shell 44.3

journalctl --user -b -p err
Code:
Sep 18 04:21:52 gentoo gnome-shell[1348]: Received an X Window System error.
                                          This probably reflects a bug in the program.
                                          The error was 'BadCursor (invalid Cursor parameter)'.
                                            (Details: serial 244888 error_code 6 request_code 95 (core protocol) minor_code 0)
                                            (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
                                             that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
                                             To debug your program, run it with the MUTTER_SYNC environment
                                             variable to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
                                             backtrace from your debugger if you break on the meta_x_error() function.)
InvisibleRasta
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it turns out that its my mouse cursor theme that i changed with gnome tweaks that is causing the gnome-shell to crash. It looks that it can't load any of the mouse cursors I have installed even tho they all work on a different distro.
Any idea if I am maybe missing any useflag or some dependency?

Code:
gnome-base/gnome-shell-44.4::gentoo  USE="ibus networkmanager systemd (-elogind) -gtk-doc -test" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_11 -python3_10 -python3_12"
InvisibleRasta
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a new installtion of gentoo, new home, I still experience this same bug in gnome. All cursor themes will not work. They display a white box, and if i try to move anything in the gnome-shell it will crash until i go back to the adwaita cursor theme.
Strange it has been more than 6 months and this bug is still here. I am stuck with the default gnome cursor theme for life it seems.
Anyone knows how i can troubleshoot this?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: