I bleeping Hate MS Windows
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FastTurtle
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:26 pm    Post subject: I bleeping Hate MS Windows Reply with quote

MS makes it damn near impossible to get into my system firmware even though I have the CSM enabled due to the LSI HBA card plus I have a five second boot delay. Instead nine out of ten times (90 percent) it boots right into windows as though fast boot in enabled in the bios and windows itself. This makes it very difficult to even update a board bios if needed though in my case, I've been downgrading to the 1.0.6 Agease version as it seemed to be the most stable with my 5800x3d.

Once I get a working minimal install, I am going to nuke MS from Orbit, pour diesel fuel all over the corpse with magnesium shavings, ignite it and once it's burned out, salt the damn earth so it'll never rise again. Yes!! I'm that adamant about hating Microsoft. The only MS app I have on my system that annoys me is Live-Mail. It's pushing me to move to Outlook and personally, I hate the added complexity and lack of spam filtering. MS only uses rules. Well they wont even let you white list domains, only block senders, which does nothing for the level of spam I get in my personal account. Google on the other hand, does a fairly decent job for the number of emails I get - several mailing lists so I get at least 200 messages a day.

On a related note, due to windows screwing the drives up, I'm having to start the system installation again!! He's not Dead Jim! Run it's a Zombie! Scotty, kill it! Well we've lost another red shirt.

Seriously, I'm having to start all over but this time, I've got the structure of the fstab figured out so I don't have to enter those long UUID entries. I'm going with the PartLabel setup. Works fine and the nice thing is, if I end up pulling/replacing drives due to failure, unless it's the system disk, they wont change and the system knows where it's mount points are. That also the advantage of using the UUID but it takes a long time to enter them in the minimal install environement and is prone to typo's so the partlabels make more sense.
LSI 9211-8i in HBA mode for all of the SaS drives
Radeon 6800 (Non XT) for GPU
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FastTurtle,

There is copy/paste in the minimal ISO environment.

Boot the minimal ISO, this gives you a root shell.
Run the passwd command and set the password, so you know it.

Now you have 5 Virtual Terminals (VT) that you switch between with Ctr-Fn, for n in the range 1..5. That's the Function keys.

Copy/Paste by highlighting text in one VT, switch then press the middle mouse button to paste.

Installing over ssh is much easier/warmer/more comfortable but that needs another system to ssh from.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
FastTurtle
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip Neddy. Of course we're not always using Gentoo so can't depend on the Copy/Paste option unless in a GUI but as I said, the "Label=" option works well while being human understandable. In looking at it, most of the various distros now support this due to GPT being common now.

One of the advantages and it's a big one, is that it doesn't need copy/paste to get it right. Label=gentoo says it all in fstab and means we have an idea as to which distro it's for. I've even thought about "Label=ubunta" or any other distro and by keeping /home, I don't loose my files if I end up wiping a distro that I've been checking out.
LSI 9211-8i in HBA mode for all of the SaS drives
Radeon 6800 (Non XT) for GPU
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FastTurtle,

Beware both LABEL and UUID. They are ambiguous. As I wore then there, the filesystem properties are implied.
Partitions also have LABEL and UUID properties, properly called PARTLABEL and PARTUUID.
Its not always clear which is being referenced.

Other objects also have UUIDs, so the plot thickens, eg raid sets, logical volumes.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
pietinger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neddy,

you can use PARTLABEL only if it is a GPT disk (not for a MBR disk). PARTUUID is ... possible for a MBR ... but I would not recommend it to use it for MBR. man mount says:
Quote:
LABEL=label
Human readable filesystem identifier. See also -L.

UUID=uuid
Filesystem universally unique identifier. The format of the UUID is usually a series of hex digits separated by hyphens. See also -U.

Note that mount uses UUIDs as strings. The UUIDs from the command line or from fstab(5) are not converted to internal binary representation. The string representation of the UUID should be based on lower case characters.

PARTLABEL=label
Human readable partition identifier. This identifier is independent on filesystem and does not change by mkfs or mkswap operations. It’s supported for example for GUID Partition Tables (GPT).

PARTUUID=uuid
Partition universally unique identifier. This identifier is independent on filesystem and does not change by mkfs or mkswap operations. It’s supported for example for GUID Partition Tables (GPT).

NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pietinger,

You can get into a fankle by being ambiguous was the point.
Mount and the kernel won't get confused.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
e8root
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you have issues entering UEFI and without actually confirming it has anything to do with Windows install you immediately jumped to conclusions and hating. Not nice :?
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: I bleeping Hate MS Windows Reply with quote

FastTurtle wrote:
MS makes it damn near impossible to get into my system firmware even though I have the CSM enabled due to the LSI HBA card plus I have a five second boot delay. Instead nine out of ten times (90 percent) it boots right into windows as though fast boot in enabled in the bios and windows itself. This makes it very difficult to even update a board bios if needed though in my case, I've been downgrading to the 1.0.6 Agease version as it seemed to be the most stable with my 5800x3d.

Don't know if this works with CSM, but on UEFI systems at least you can actually tell Windows to reboot directly into BIOS (admitted the option is hidden very well): https://www.howtogeek.com/783790/how-to-enter-the-bios-on-windows-10/
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: