View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rphii
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:26 pm    Post subject: Can't open Firefox URLs if it is already running Reply with quote

I do have Firefox open and I now want to open a new tab with a URL (starting jupyter, or clicking a link on a pdf, etc).

After waiting for a few seconds I get the following white window with only an "OK" button and a message saying:

"Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To use Firefox, you must first close the existing Firefox process, restart your device, or use a different profile."

Alongside the following terminal information.

Code:
$ firefox 'https://forums.gentoo.org'
Crash Annotation GraphicsCriticalError: |[0][GFX1-]: vaapitest: ERROR (t=5.67108) [GFX1-]: vaapitest: ERROR
Crash Annotation GraphicsCriticalError: |[0][GFX1-]: vaapitest: ERROR (t=5.67108) |[1][GFX1-]: vaapitest: VA-API test failed: libva-drm.so.2 is missing.
 (t=5.67113) [GFX1-]: vaapitest: VA-API test failed: libva-drm.so.2 is missing.

JavaScript error: resource://gre/modules/XULStore.sys.mjs, line 60: Error: Can't find profile directory.
JavaScript error: resource://gre/modules/XULStore.sys.mjs, line 60: Error: Can't find profile directory.

As I said, I know I have firefox running, but I don't really want to close it just to open another URL.

I have this problem on two machines, both under wayland.

When launching hyprland I set those two variables:

Code:
export MOZ_DBUS_REMOTE=1
export MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1

Clearly something is wrong with my "profile directory" or "libva-drm.so.2"... but I don't really know how to fix it, so if anyone can help me, it is highly appreciated.
kgdrenefort
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

maybe it's related to your Desktop Environment ? 

I guess all of them, while clicking on a file type, or a website link, will use pre-configured or user-configured value to:

1/ Open the proper tool
2/ Open the file(s) with it

Here it seems it does not use the proper way to do that.

I had that on Debian when I was using my home-script to download and install the last firefox release into /opt, then linked it as a normal binary install via dpkg/apt. Sometime I forgot to properly separate them and it was (debian + KDE) trying to run it with another release, and since Firefox really doesn't like that, I had the same errors as you.

Also, while you have this message, please paste process running:

Code:
ps faux

Don't grep firefox, just in case, could maybe contains something useful. Or not.

Regards,
GASPARD DE RENEFORT Kévin
flexibeast
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
Can't find profile directory.

Firefox is trying to start via a particular user profile, but it can't find that profile.

By default, profiles are stored under ~/.mozilla/firefox/, with directory names like `abc123de.default`.

If you start Firefox from the command line with the `-P` option, you'll get a dialog box listing the available user profiles (and asking you to select one).

If you provide a profile name to the `-P` option (e.g. "-P default"), Firefox will try to start with that profile. If there's already an instance running with that profile, you can use the existing instance by passing the option "--no-remote".

Finally, Firefox makes use of the D-Bus session bus, and lack of a session bus (as distinct from the system bus provided by the `dbus` service provided by OpenRC or systemd), or the DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS variable not being set appropriately, can cause issues for Firefox.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: