View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scientiam
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:16 am    Post subject: firefox in st prints out browser console to terminal Reply with quote

Hey there, first time user.
Emerging firefox and running
Code:
firefox
in dwm X environment in st terminal results in the following (effectively browser console outputted into terminal):
Code:
 $ firefox
console.error: ({})
JavaScript error: resource://gre/modules/XULStore.sys.mjs, line 60: Error: Can't find profile directory.
console.error: (new TypeError("a is null", "resource://gre/modules/components-utils/mozjexl.js", 1))
console.error: (new TypeError("a is null", "resource://gre/modules/components-utils/mozjexl.js", 1))

Everything browsed after that just prints out whatever is normally found in the browser console. When emerging firefox-bin and running
Code:
firefox-bin
in dwm X environment in st terminal, it works fine, nothing is outputted.
I understand I can just do:
Code:
firefox &> /dev/null &
to escape terminal and prevent console from being outputted to the terminal, but I'm curious to know why this behaviour occurs.
My make.conf:
Code:
USE="X dracut dist-kernel xinerama elogind"

# These settings were set by the catalyst build script that automatically
# built this stage.
# Please consult /usr/share/portage/config/make.conf.example for a more
# detailed example.
COMMON_FLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
CFLAGS="${COMMON_FLAGS} -march=tigerlake -mabm -mno-kl -mno-sgx -mno-widekl -mshstk --param=l1-cache-line-size=64 --param=l1-cache-size=48 --param=l2-cache-size=12288"
CXXFLAGS="${COMMON_FLAGS}"
FCFLAGS="${COMMON_FLAGS}"
FFLAGS="${COMMON_FLAGS}"
CPU_FLAGS_X86="aes avx avx2 avx512_bitalg avx512_vbmi2 avx512_vnni avx512_vp2intersect avx512_vpopcntdq avx512bw avx512cd avx512dq avx512f avx512ifma avx512vbmi avx512vl f16c fma3 mmx mmxext pclmul popcnt rdrand sha sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vpclmulqdq"

# NOTE: This stage was built with the bindist Use flag enabled

# This sets the language of build output to English.
# Please keep this setting intact when reporting bugs.
LC_MESSAGES=C.utf8
MAKEOPTS="-j8 -l8"

VIDEO_CARDS="intel"
INPUT_DEVICES="libinput"

I used autounmask-write to emerge firefox, resulted in this package.use/zz-autounmask:
Code:
# package.use# required by www-client/firefox-115.8.0::gentoo[system-libvpx]
# required by firefox (argument)
>=media-libs/libvpx-1.13.1-r1 postproc

Any insight would be appreciated, thanks.
kgdrenefort
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

If I understand, you are wondering why running firefox from Suckless Terminal brings you so many output ?

I would say, it's normal, if I do that on my own terminal, it'll output a lot of stuff.

Mostly, appending '&' at the end of a command, will avoid 99% of the output, yes:

Quote:
The Ampersand Operator (&)

By appending the ampersand operator to any command, you dictate the shell to execute that Linux command in the background so that you can continue using the shell untethered. Usually, if you run gedit from the terminal, you will be unable to use the terminal unless you close the text editor.

Source: https://www.makeuseof.com/linux-command-line-chaining-operators/

Normally, after you run any command, if there is output to throw, it'll be done on the actual terminal used to run the binary, that is a normal behaviour.

And you say that using the pre-compiled binary for Firefox doesn't throw you any output, correct ? Well I have to say I don't know why there is this exact behaviour, but I can guess the firefox-bin does not use the exact same flag:

Quote:
Using the pre-compiled www-client/firefox-bin package means that almost all of the USE flags in the list above cannot be set: setting these flags while using this package will not alter the binary. When using the pre-built package, note this message.

Source: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Firefox#Binary_package_.28firefox-bin.29

I would, if I were you, take a close look to each flag, maybe one of them is making firefox more verbose, and since it seems that the firefox-binary seems to have it's own set of flag… You could probably use equery command to check for each package what are the used flag.

Regards,
GASPARD DE RENEFORT Kévin
scientiam
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgdrenefort wrote:
Hi,

If I understand, you are wondering why running firefox from Suckless Terminal brings you so many output ?

I would say, it's normal, if I do that on my own terminal, it'll output a lot of stuff.

Mostly, appending '&' at the end of a command, will avoid 99% of the output, yes:

Quote:
The Ampersand Operator (&)

By appending the ampersand operator to any command, you dictate the shell to execute that Linux command in the background so that you can continue using the shell untethered. Usually, if you run gedit from the terminal, you will be unable to use the terminal unless you close the text editor.

Source: https://www.makeuseof.com/linux-command-line-chaining-operators/

Normally, after you run any command, if there is output to throw, it'll be done on the actual terminal used to run the binary, that is a normal behaviour.

And you say that using the pre-compiled binary for Firefox doesn't throw you any output, correct ? Well I have to say I don't know why there is this exact behaviour, but I can guess the firefox-bin does not use the exact same flag:

Quote:
Using the pre-compiled www-client/firefox-bin package means that almost all of the USE flags in the list above cannot be set: setting these flags while using this package will not alter the binary. When using the pre-built package, note this message.

Source: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Firefox#Binary_package_.28firefox-bin.29

I would, if I were you, take a close look to each flag, maybe one of them is making firefox more verbose, and since it seems that the firefox-binary seems to have it's own set of flag… You could probably use equery command to check for each package what are the used flag.

Regards,
GASPARD DE RENEFORT Kévin

Thanks for the informative reply.

I have tried different USE flags and copied it over while comparing between the two packages and still receiving the same result.

I am at a loss now as to where to proceed or if I am doing something incorrectly.

https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/www-client/firefox

https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/www-client/firefox-bin

Are the packages listed in the metadata the only toggable USE flags, or are there others out there that are unlisted? Equery returns the same result so I assume it's identical.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: