kvm boot delay
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkphader
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:52 pm    Post subject: kvm boot delay Reply with quote

Just started recently. All but one of my kvm systems now experience a long boot delay, maybe close to a minute with the SeaBIOS version and Machine UUID on the screen.

There's an OpenBSD system, a Windows system, and several Linux systems that have been working fine for a long time and now experience this issue. Oddly enough one of my Linux kvm's still boots without extra delay.

Systems seem to work normally once booted.
madurani
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: kvm boot delay Reply with quote

darkphader wrote:
Just started recently. All but one of my kvm systems now experience a long boot delay, maybe close to a minute with the SeaBIOS version and Machine UUID on the screen.

There's an OpenBSD system, a Windows system, and several Linux systems that have been working fine for a long time and now experience this issue. Oddly enough one of my Linux kvm's still boots without extra delay.

Systems seem to work normally once booted.

I have same issue. VMs started before without delay. Now is a time, from a start of VM till begin of boot approximately one minute. After booting, VM work fine. I readed on internet, that there can be something between MB and VGA and UEFI. Some days ago i replaced VGA. I checked logfiles of KVM and OS and there aren't any error messages. I haven't idea what can be problem.
roadgeek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm experiencing the same boot delay. I have no delay with QEMU 8.0, but I experience this issue with QEMU 8.2.

The issue seems to be the presence of a cdrom device. When I remove the cdrom device, my VM starts and boots quickly.
darkphader
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roadgeek wrote:
I'm experiencing the same boot delay. I have no delay with QEMU 8.0, but I experience this issue with QEMU 8.2.

The issue seems to be the presence of a cdrom device. When I remove the cdrom device, my VM starts and boots quickly.

Interesting.
Out of my 4 Windows 10 Pro VM's (all boot in BIOS mode) only one had a CDROM and removing it did "fix" the slow boot. I tried adding a CDROM to the others and then removing it but it didn't help.
The 3 Windows 11 Pro VM's all boot in UEFI and have no substantial delay. Out of my 2 Linux VM's neither has a delay now but one did have it and then one day its delay went away.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: