View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tratkazir_the_1st
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schwarzygesetzlos wrote:
Code:
make oldconfig

I'm used to genkernel way. Just set menuconfig=yes in genkernel.conf. Then check some things & after that - genkernel does all work.
Works more or less without troubles :D.
schwarzygesetzlos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did that too looong time ago. :D In the end I found copying my old kernel .config over + make oldconfig (out from the kernel directory) more convenient.

All it does is to use your old .config and simply ask you what it should do with new config options if any arise. It also displays a nice info text of the option when awaiting your desicion. More straightforward and less error prone if you ask me. Of course you can still run make menuconfig afterwards.
schwarzygesetzlos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated the config to 5.4.28.
Added exfat support (in staging)
Minor tweaks.
schwarzygesetzlos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated the config to 5.4.72.
Disabled most debug options (as 5.4.x series now has been running without issues for me on G5 for a loong time), leading to a smaller & faster kernel.
Added zswap/zbud support.
Minor tweaks.
schwarzygesetzlos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated the config to 5.10.46.
Removed KEXEC support (doesn't make much sense on Apple PPC-hardware; also disencouraged by the Kernel Self Protection Project)
Removed zswap/zbud support.
Re-added some debug options needed by settings suggested by the Kernel Self Protection Project (only light ones without too much strain on the CPU).
Enabled most of the settings suggested by the Kernel Self Protection Project.
Added zswap/z3fold support.
Minor tweaks.
lukeszabo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:49 am    Post subject: Build worked but nvidia 6600LE not displaying on x11 load Reply with quote

Does anyone have this working on an nVidia 6600LE? I successfully built this on my G5 Quad and the system is up and running and seems to be working. I can connect to the system after boot via SSH, but once the boot moves from DOS/Text and starts loading the X environment and GUI the display stops working.

I am not truly sure where the issue is, I have been going through forums to try and see issues people have had with nVidia graphics cards and have tried a few things, but not matter what I try it just doesn't load a gui. I have a X1950 that I can try, but the fan in that is load as I don't think the kernel has fan control of the graphics card and I am not sure how to get that working.

Just after some ideas if someone might be able to help me getting the 6600LE working as it doesn't have a fan and the build seems to have some control of the G5 fans so it is mostly quiet unless under heavy load. Or if you have ideas how I can get access to fan control on my X1950 then I can try that too.

Any help would be appreciated as the rest of the build seems to have worked great.

Health forced early retirement so started getting into old PowerPC Macs and Linux.
schwarzygesetzlos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lukeszabo wrote:
Does anyone have this working on an nVidia 6600LE? I successfully built this on my G5 Quad and the system is up and running and seems to be working. I can connect to the system after boot via SSH, but once the boot moves from DOS/Text and starts loading the X environment and GUI the display stops working.

Got a GeForce 6600 LE too in my G5 11,2 Dual and no problems reaching X. There maybe some pitfalls though getting to X when you are not experienced in Gentoo. ;)

What does emerge -pv xorg-x11 tell you? And how do you start X? You need a display-manager to do that (lightdm or lxdm work fine in my experience). Also you need to set VIDEO_CARDS="fbdev r300 r600 radeon nouveau" in /etc/portage/make.conf to get the nVidia driver automatically pulled in when emerging xorg-x11.

In my case the essential packages installed look like this:
Code:
 # emerge -pv linux-firmware lxdm xf86-video-nouveau xorg-x11

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R    ] sys-kernel/linux-firmware-20210716::gentoo  USE="redistributable (-initramfs) -savedconfig (-unknown-license)" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] x11-base/xorg-x11-7.4-r3::gentoo  USE="fonts" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R   *] lxde-base/lxdm-0.5.3-r2::gentoo  USE="nls pam systemd -debug (-elogind)" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] x11-drivers/xf86-video-nouveau-1.0.17::gentoo  0 KiB

I also had an X1950 once but found the fan at full speed very loud too. Dunno if the fan control does not work on ppc64 only or generally on amd64 too. Also I needed an xorg.conf to use fbdev driver as the G5 froze when using the approriate r300 driver. Though this driver issue might have gotten better due to some kernel drm fixes lately...
schwarzygesetzlos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated the config to 5.15.59.
Enabled SND_VERBOSE_PROCFS (for pipewire compatibility).
Enabled some more hardening options (GCC_PLUGIN_LATENT_ENTROPY, GCC_PLUGIN_RANDSTRUCT, ZERO_CALL_USED_REGS).
Enabled some more performance options (GCC_PLUGIN_RANDSTRUCT_PERFORMANCE, CONFIG_IOMMU_DEFAULT_DMA_LAZY).
Removed some debug options for performance reasons.
Minor tweaks.
schwarzygesetzlos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated the config to 6.1.53.
Made more qemu compliant (KVM, plan9 filesystem, ...).
Disabled STRICT_KERNEL_RWX (kernel does not support readonly memory on the G5 up to now).
Removed some debug options for performance reasons.
Minor tweaks.
Timuu-kun
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know who needs to hear this; apologies for the thread necromancy etc...

But it's the Year of Our Lord 2024 and I just used this successfully on my G5 Quad (PowerMac 11,2). You're an absolute legend, schwarzygesetzlos, as far as I'm concerned.

Two changes I had to make:

1) Specifically for the Quad-core machines, have to change
Code:
CONFIG_NR_CPUS=4

It was set to 2 in your example.

2) This one may apply to all 11,2 machines (Late 2005), I'm not sure, but my own machine has a Broadcom BCM4318 chipset in the wifi card slot, which is covered by sys-firmware/b43-firmware, not b43-firmware-legacy. So I had to emerge that package instead and also add the following lines to the .config:
Code:
CONFIG_B43=m
CONFIG_B43_BCMA=y
CONFIG_B43_SSB=y
CONFIG_B43_BUSES_BCMA_AND_SSB=y
# CONFIG_B43_BUSES_BCMA is not set
# CONFIG_B43_BUSES_SSB is not set
CONFIG_B43_PCI_AUTOSELECT=y
CONFIG_B43_PCICORE_AUTOSELECT=y
CONFIG_B43_SDIO=y
CONFIG_B43_BCMA_PIO=y
CONFIG_B43_PIO=y
CONFIG_B43_PHY_G=y
CONFIG_B43_PHY_N=y
CONFIG_B43_PHY_LP=y
CONFIG_B43_PHY_HT=y
CONFIG_B43_LEDS=y
CONFIG_B43_HWRNG=y

(taken from this post: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-8620659.html?sid=0e6f5b269aa4908fd0f1233421bd4282)

I built the specific kernel version you targeted, just to try and reduce variables, might see if it works with the latest kernel versions if I have the spare time to break the machine :P

Works perfectly right now, though. Seriously, thank you!
schwarzygesetzlos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Timuu-kun Thanks for your nice feedback!

Ah yes, setting CONFIG_NR_CPUS=2 was a mistake on my side, forgot about the Quads... Thanks for pointing out! Also I didn't know that on the late G5 11,2 a different Broadcom WLAN chipset is used as I don't have WLAN on my G5. And if I would, I'll certainly buy an el-cheapo Linux supported card and not the even 2nd hand expensive Apple card. ;-)

Meanwhile my G5 runs nicely on kernel 6.6.x and 6.7.x. I'll upload a recent 6.6.x kernel .config with your suggestions incorporated shortly.
schwarzygesetzlos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated the config to 6.6.13.
Switched ZSWAP_ZPOOL_DEFAULT from z3fold to zsmalloc (z3fold is going to be deprecated in 6.9.x or 6.10.x).
Switched ZRAM_DEF_COMP from lzo-rle to lz4 (lzbench showed better performance for lz4 on the G5).
Disabled CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO (not needed for a proper stacktrace in dmesg in case of a WARNING/BUG showing up).
Enabled CONFIG_DEBUG_PAGEALLOC=y and CONFIG_PAGE_OWNER=y which are useful in case of a memory related WARNING/BUG (no performance penalty as they additionally need to be switched on via kernel command line parameters debug_pagealloc=on and page_owner=on).
Enabled KUNIT test framwork (2 small tests run at boot; kunit/test modules can be modprobed when system is up to run tests for various kernel subsystems; nice for bug hunting).
Minor tweaks.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: