Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Wayland compositors and X use flag
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should compositors use xwayland flag instead of X?
yes
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
no
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 5

setan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:45 am    Post subject: Wayland compositors and X use flag Reply with quote

Hello,
I am new to Gentoo and I am learning the USE flag system.
I am running Hyprland and recently I needed to launch an app that dosen't support wayland.

I needed to rebuild hyprland with the X flag enabled -- that pulled in Xwayland.

I have checked the USE flag index and I have noticed that usage of X and xwayland for native wayland compositors is inconsistent:
- Weston ("best" wayland implementation) uses xwayland
- wlroots, hikari, sway, hyprland (not on list) and enlightenment (DE) use X for what essentialy is xwayland support.

I think that this might be misleading and impractical.
1. Misleading: -- "I am building Sway with X flag enabled, so of course it supports X" (not xwayland) -- user might even think that it can function as a native X app, which would be understandable for users coming from DEs, where Mutter and Kwin have native X support.
2. Impractical -- if one wants to run a Wayland compositor (WM) with xwayland support, as of right now the easiest way to do that is using the X flag globally, which introduces a lot of bloat.

I think that differencieating between X and xwayland for compositors would be a good thing.
What do you think about it?

PS. I want to try the poll thing
wanne32
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xwayland is an full blown X.Org-Server running on top of a wayland session. Its not "just" xwayland support. Its X11 with additional features. Not less.
Quote:
2. Impractical -- if one wants to run a Wayland compositor (WM) with xwayland support, as of right now the easiest way to do that is using the X flag globally, which introduces a lot of bloat.
Running X11 on top of Wayland is just a lot of bloat. Using different names for it won't change this. If you would just enable the compositor there would be no Application to use it. If you like to have e.g. hardware acceleration thou X11 in a game it makes sense to enable X. But not only need it in your application but you need it also in your compositor. In the Graphics-Toolkit (QT/GTK) and in Mesa. And of yours you need an X11 server (which is the dependency for most X use flags). So enabling X just in sway won't help. X everywhere is just the easy way to go. If you just want it in one specific application there is no other way than specifying it for that and every dependency it has.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: