poor audio quality on BT headphones with HSP[solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adel Ahmed
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:56 pm    Post subject: poor audio quality on BT headphones with HSP[solved] Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to use the microphone in my wh-ch520 headphones(which works fine on android) so I switch the audio profile using pavucontrol from A2DP to HSP-HFP codec(msbc or cvsd), when I do that I'm able to see the microphone on my headphones as an input device, but the audio quality takes a severe hit.
I'm using pipewire with the following flags:
Code:
[ebuild   R    ] media-video/pipewire-0.3.80:0/0.4::gentoo  USE="bluetooth dbus extra ffmpeg pipewire-alsa sound-server systemd -X -doc -echo-cancel -flatpak -gsettings -gstreamer -ieee1394 -jack-client -jack-sdk -liblc3 -lv2 -modemmanager -readline -roc -ssl (-system-service) -test -v4l -zeroconf" ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)" 0 KiB

thanks

Last edited by Adel Ahmed on Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total
spica
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HSP/HFP (Headset Profile/Hands-Free Profile) indeed tends to offer inferior audio quality compared to A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), and this discrepancy is inherent to their respective designs. A2DP generally offers better audio quality because it's optimized for streaming high-fidelity audio (but not realtime), whereas HSP prioritizes real-time voice communication and therefore sacrifices some audio quality for features like call stability and noise reduction. When you're enjoying music on your Android or iPhone, it leverages A2DP for optimal audio transmission. However, seamlessly transitioning to an incoming call triggers a switch to HSP without the listener typically noticing the shift in profiles. This switch ensures smooth communication for voice calls, though at the expense of audio fidelity, which is less crucial in such real-time conversational scenarios.
Adel Ahmed
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm I guess I'll work on some scripts to switch automatically between the profiles.

thanks
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: