Ports clash: access to localhost refused
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gcyoung
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:38 am    Post subject: Ports clash: access to localhost refused Reply with quote

Various updates have led to an installation of both apache2 and nginx on my computer. The result is a clash between webservers apache2 and nginx. Both want to listen on localhost and the end result is that cups can no longer access localhost, and systemd cannot load apache2.

I do not have much understanding of the management of ports, but do understand they can be managed, if one knows what one is doing. I don't!.
Can any wiser and more informed person advise me on:

1: whether it is really necessary to have both of these web servers installed,
and:-
2:If both are needed, how to change the port settings to enable both programs to function and cups to run.
and:
3: If only one is required, which is preferred.
sMueggli
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally it is not needed to have a webserver installed. If you do not know how to configure a webserver, then you should remove it from the system.

If you need a webserver it is enough to have one webserver. It is also possible to have several webservers installed and running at the same time, if they are configured accordingly.

Please explain what you want to do (and not how you wanted it to do)[/code].

For now I recommend you to disable nginx or apache2 (disable the webserver you installed last).
Hu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start with trying to avoid the problem: post the output of emerge --pretend --verbose --depclean www-servers/apache www-servers-nginx. This will tell us whether you even need both. You may find that there is a way to avoid keeping both installed. If you need to keep both installed, then as sMueggli says, please explain how you ended up here.
gcyoung
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:24 am    Post subject: Ports clash: access to localhost refused Reply with quote

I have read up quite a bit now on the subject of web-servers, and realised it can be quite complex. This resulted in my removal and masking of nginx. I found it appeared to make no difference to the use of my installed system. I had not conciously installed it; it just came as part of a routine update.

SMueggli's responses to my query have confirmed my actions. Many thanks for your advice. From my point of view I think the subject can now be closed.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: