ESET NOD32 antivirus on Gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deep Red
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:00 am    Post subject: ESET NOD32 antivirus on Gentoo Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I need to install ESET NOD32 antivirus on my computer. I downloaded the last version containing archive for Ubuntu (eea-10.1.8.0-ubuntu18.x86_64.deb) and forced install with dpkg. Now I can open antivirus and scan computer via GUI interface, but many other functions fail. For example, when I try to run the activation with

Code:
/opt/eset/eea/sbin/lic --key XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

it fails with

Code:
/opt/eset/eea/sbin/lic: /usr/lib64/libcurl.so.4: no version information available (required by /opt/eset/eea/sbin/../lib/libcommon.so)

emerge info for curl:

Code:
net-misc/curl-8.2.1::gentoo was built with the following:
USE="adns ftp http2 imap openssl pop3 progress-meter smtp ssl tftp -alt-svc -brotli -gnutls -gopher -hsts -idn -kerberos -ldap -mbedtls -nghttp3 -nss -rtmp -rustls -samba -ssh (-sslv3) -static-libs -telnet -test -verify-sig -websockets -zstd" ABI_X86="32 (64) (-x32)" CURL_SSL="openssl -gnutls -mbedtls -nss -rustls"
FEATURES="merge-sync ipc-sandbox news xattr unmerge-orphans buildpkg-live unknown-features-warn ebuild-locks pid-sandbox binpkg-logs sfperms usersandbox binpkg-docompress distlocks parallel-fetch strict assume-digests sandbox unmerge-logs qa-unresolved-soname-deps userfetch multilib-strict binpkg-dostrip fixlafiles usersync network-sandbox userpriv protect-owned preserve-libs config-protect-if-modified"

ldd:

Code:
ldd /usr/lib64/libcurl.so.4
   linux-vdso.so.1 (0x00007ffe673d0000)
   libcares.so.2 => /usr/lib64/libcares.so.2 (0x00007ffbb4757000)
   libnghttp2.so.14 => /usr/lib64/libnghttp2.so.14 (0x00007ffbb4726000)
   libssl.so.3 => /usr/lib64/libssl.so.3 (0x00007ffbb4681000)
   libcrypto.so.3 => /usr/lib64/libcrypto.so.3 (0x00007ffbb4000000)
   libz.so.1 => /usr/lib64/libz.so.1 (0x00007ffbb4667000)
   libc.so.6 => /usr/lib64/libc.so.6 (0x00007ffbb3c00000)

Any ideas how to fix this?
rfx
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe ClamAV is also a good AV for you? https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/ClamAV
Deep Red
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rfx wrote:
Maybe ClamAV is also a good AV for you? https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/ClamAV

There's a requirement from my organization to install proprietary antivirus software.
Hu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: ESET NOD32 antivirus on Gentoo Reply with quote

Deep Red wrote:
Code:
/opt/eset/eea/sbin/lic: /usr/lib64/libcurl.so.4: no version information available (required by /opt/eset/eea/sbin/../lib/libcommon.so)
This indicates that the consuming file (libcommon.so) is not fully compatible with the providing file (libcurl.so.4). Recompile libcommon.so with the correct header and library for the local curl, or switch to a bundled curl consistent with the build environment that was used to create libcommon.so.
Deep Red wrote:
There's a requirement from my organization to install proprietary antivirus software.
Do they care which proprietary antivirus software you install? I'm sure someone here could whip up a trivial antivirus, refuse to give you the source, and let you use that as a proprietary package. ;)
Hund
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does your organization require you to install proprietary software? Why not use good software? And why would you need client protection on a Linux based operation system anyway?
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hund, you're asking this question to a wrong person, since the OP is on the receiving end of this decision and not the one making it.
Corporations often have no idea what they're doing and enough leverage to do it anyway; When you're working for one, you pretty much can't complain.

However..... Deep Red, are they actually telling you to install eset on YOUR computer?
It's generally a bad idea to use your personal device for work, and if they are putting requirements like that on you, they should also provide a ready to use machine for you. This is something you can push back on.
Unless you have some other reason not to. Like: if they are allowing you to install linux of your choice on hardware provided for you.
Deep Red
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: ESET NOD32 antivirus on Gentoo Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
Deep Red wrote:
Code:
This indicates that the consuming file (libcommon.so) is not fully compatible with the providing file (libcurl.so.4). Recompile libcommon.so with the correct header and library for the local curl, or switch to a bundled curl consistent with the build environment that was used to create libcommon.so.
Deep Red wrote:
Do they care which proprietary antivirus software you install? I'm sure someone here could whip up a trivial antivirus, refuse to give you the source, and let you use that as a proprietary package. ;)

libcommon.so comes with the antivirus, should I compile it on Gentoo and replace that file?

P. S.That computer belongs to the organization, I managed to install Gentoo and work on it although they prefer to maintain Ubuntu or Red Hat/Fedora.

Last edited by Deep Red on Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
steve_v
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: ESET NOD32 antivirus on Gentoo Reply with quote

Deep Red wrote:
libcommon.so comes with the antivirus, should I compile it on Gentoo and replace that file?

Ideally, but then you'd need the source... Not even sure which libcommon that is to begin with TBH.

As a quick and dirty test, grabbing libcurl from Debian testing (8.3.0) and dropping it in eset's /lib/ directory allows 'lic' (whatever that is) to at least do something (i.e. not immediately bomb on linking errors).
Not going any further than that though, I really have no interest in commercial "endpoint protection" nonsense. IMO, the only "endpoint protection" worth anything is the end-user not being a dumbass.

A lot of the time when organisations pull this crap it's more for liability reasons than anything logical, all machines must have one of $approved_av_product installed (regardless of it's efficacy or relevance), and arguing with it is usually just pissing into the wind.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: