any tool to create illustrative graphs
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
orion777
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:00 am    Post subject: any tool to create illustrative graphs Reply with quote

Good day!

The problem is not addressed to the Gentoo OS, but maybe somebody knows and can suggest some software to create ILLUSTRATIVE graphs and illustrations.
I means, say, graph of a sinewave: X and Y scales, and a sinevave in the plot. Just to illustrate how do a sinewave looks like, without any values, etc.

Of course, the sinewave can be plotted using, say, MATLAB/Octave, Excel, etc., but all of these software require known equations to build a data to be used in the plot; whereas my graphs are not precise, they just shows how something looks, i.e. sinevawe or, say, p-n junction voltage-current https://www.electroduino.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/V-I-Voltage-Vs-Current-Characteristics-of-PN-Junction-Diode.jpg

In software such as paint, gimp. photoshop, etc. I have to carry about each thing: to make arrows of graph X and U scales, the creation of some random graph like PN Voltage-Current curve is also very painfull in the photoshop-like editors...

The software which I'm looking for can be Linux or Windows - does not matter, but it must be user-friendly in creating ILLUSTRATIVE graphs (maybe, controlled only by electric drawing tablets. etc).
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe something like labplot?
orion777
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answer!

The lablot is one of the data analysis and DATA VISUALIZATION tools. It means that it, similar to excel/matlab, requires already available DATA to be visualized...

In my case I would like to create ILLUSTRATIVE graphs, say, how output voltage of a generator depends on load; the generator here is a hypothetic, I dont know its parameters to build its exact graphs, so I would like to show just in general something like this: https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-py_VfXisHYM/U7e73SMO4sI/AAAAAAAAA5g/3uMvRY6GPZE/s1600/charateristics-of-shunt-dc-generator.png
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With labplot you can extract data from a image.
orion777
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I didn't know it, thanks! Seems I saw something like this in MATLAB - pickpoint or something like this...

So, by means of labplot I can:
(1) draw a graph by my hand on a paper
(2) scan it
(3) extract point by means of labplot
(4) draw "digital" graph in labplot
Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if I say something stupid, but what about Calc? Just enter some tables and make a graph of it. It draws axis for you, you just need to give it the right names and scale maybe.
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gnuplot can create 2d and 3d charts from either data points or functions, and you control it from command line, so it's scriptable.
wjb
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you're after hand-drawn graphs because I literally have no idea what you mean by illustrative graphs, any drawing package will let you draw and adjust bezier curves which makes it dead easy to match any curve you want. GIMP, Krita, Inkscape, Blender, ...

(Blender's in the list because not only can you trace hand scribbled images using images-as-plane, you can also achieve interesting things with the grease pencil these days)
orion777
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, no problem to plot something (i.e. with calc or excel) if I have the DATA to plot.

But I need illustrative graphs, i.e. I have NO exact data and the graph struture can be complicated (not only a sinewave).

For example A hysteresis loop: how do I can draw it? like this https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Schematic-showing-magnetic-hysteresis-loop-of-a-ferromagnetic-material_fig1_330210801
NichtDerHans
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The diagrams are exemplary fake and made with a graphics program. You can try Inkscape or Scribus. This is as you have noticed tinkering.

But you can create such curves with Matplotlib, GNUPlot and remove the axis labels, insert lines, arrows and labels. This is accurate, but a lot of work.

See also here: https://matplotlib.org/stable/gallery/index
Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orion777 wrote:
Of course, no problem to plot something (i.e. with calc or excel) if I have the DATA to plot.

But I need illustrative graphs, i.e. I have NO exact data and the graph struture can be complicated (not only a sinewave).

For example A hysteresis loop: how do I can draw it? like this https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Schematic-showing-magnetic-hysteresis-loop-of-a-ferromagnetic-material_fig1_330210801

Looks to me like 2 erf functions shifted a bit left and a bit right.

I have no idea what you want to plot. First thing is to really understand what you want to do.
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you have no data for charts and you're not happy with making them up via math functions, there is one more, hardware solution to doing ILLUSTRATIVE graphics:
The cheapest graphic tablets are like 50$ new.

Less effort than pen + paper + scanner and you're getting a cleaner picture (like in: without any noise in background)
sublogic
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one mentioned media-gfx/xfig , so I will...
orion777
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

szatox wrote:
Gnuplot can create 2d and 3d charts from either data points or functions, and you control it from command line, so it's scriptable.

Spanik wrote:
Looks to me like 2 erf functions shifted a bit left and a bit right

NichtDerHans wrote:
you can create such curves with Matplotlib, GNUPlot and remove the axis labels, insert lines, arrows and labels. This is accurate, but a lot of work.

That's right: if the function is known, it is not a problem to build its graph. But the function is not always available... see, for example, how p-n junction voltage-current characteristic looks https://d3jlfsfsyc6yvi.cloudfront.net/image/mw:1024/q:85/https%3A%2F%2Fhaygot.s3.amazonaws.com%3A443%2Fcheatsheet%2F15215.gif or, say, generator open circuit characteristic (magnetization curve) https://circuitglobe.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/characteristic-of-dc-generator-fig-4-compressor.jpg
and there are a lot of of such examples, where description by means of equations becomes very difficult...
NichtDerHans wrote:
with a graphics program. You can try Inkscape or Scribus. This is as you have noticed tinkering.

Yes, I did try Inkscape and found that it is very powerful tool which can be used to "draw" anything; but since it is like a Switz Knife, its usability to create random illustrative graphs is not very comfort.
sublogic wrote:
No one mentioned media-gfx/xfig , so I will...

Thanks! I did try similar windows software called SPLAN: it is useful to draw electric/hydraulic schematics and so on... But, as I can see, xfig also allows to interact with LATEX (SPLAN can't do this), so I will note this software.
szatox wrote:
graphic tablets

Well, this sounds closer! I can get a graphic tablet for free to try it (most probably, something like this (without the screen) https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-drawing-tablets-for-beginners/)). But what software can be useful? I asked here, because there are a lot of softwares for sketches (i.e. to draw a "picture", like https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-SKGFTEHQ3RI/XUF8qpH5cxI/AAAAAAAACaA/8hUcTOpiNwQ9i5joO0VQ0O090pw66TEWwCEwYBhgL/s1600/Screen%2BShot%2B2019-07-31%2Bat%2B20.25.02.png ), but I need straight lines on axes, these axes must have arrows, style for the axes must be same for all graphs ... and ability tu draw smooth curwes too (for the graph itself, using pen and a graphic tablet. Both Windows and Linux software are acceptable!

P.S> I did even try Windows PAINT with the touchscreen display notebook :oops: Again: hard to make arrows; texting is pain-full because it becomes uneditable, etc.
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh... I see. Alright, time to bring out the biggest guns then: GIMP

It uses layers, so:
Import a template with axes as background.
Import a grid as a new layer (with transparent background)
Create a new transparent layer. Draw your function.
Create a new transparent layer. Enter your text.
Create a new transparent layer for whatever reason
If you later want to change something, just modify or replace the offending layer.

Once you're happy with the result, export image.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: