[split] Gentoo (not, oops) requiring kernel signatures
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gentoopc
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:34 pm    Post subject: [split] Gentoo (not, oops) requiring kernel signatures Reply with quote

Admin Edit: Split from SOLVED-Kernel upgrade because it isn't related to the user's problem. For similar reasons, I left no link in that thread to this one. --pjp

mich wrote:
Hello,
After doing an upgrade from kernel 6.1.19-gentoo to any of the following kernel:
linux-6.1.27-gentoo-r1
[4] linux-6.1.28-gentoo
[5] linux-6.1.31-gentoo *
[6] linux-6.1.38-gentoo

i receive a black screen with a blinking prompt

I compared the kernel and the video staff .. not changed, so I don't understand.
Can you help me please?

Michel

gentoo is turning into windows. soon, as in the windows, you will only need to insert a USB flash drive, mark up the disk and install gentoo. the kernel will be one binary. it will be impossible to change anything and rebuild the kernel as it works for windows. it is a pity that you are going to this.
Hu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: SOLVED-Kernel upgrade Reply with quote

Gentoopc wrote:
gentoo is turning into windows. soon, as in the windows, you will only need to insert a USB flash drive, mark up the disk and install gentoo. the kernel will be one binary. it will be impossible to change anything and rebuild the kernel as it works for windows. it is a pity that you are going to this.
I don't think this comment is fair or supported by the post you quoted. The poster tried an upgrade, and did not get the desired result on the first try. The poster sought help. Advice here solved the problem. None of that was related to USB. Moreover, the problem is caused by poster's use of proprietary drivers. If the poster were using a supported open driver, the driver would have been built as part of the normal upgrade process and worked without intervention. Poster's concerns are then compounded by the fact that nVidia abandoned the chosen proprietary driver well before the hardware died of old age. Judging from other kernel maintenance, in-tree drivers are kept around until well after most people with the hardware have abandoned it as obsolete. nVidia seems to abandon cards that have years left on their usable life.

nVidia's refusal to fully support open Linux drivers has been known for many years at this point, so anyone buying nVidia hardware and using it with Linux should know the risks. To me, full support would mean that the Nouveau driver receives sufficient data sheets or other technical support from nVidia that Nouveau can support contemporary hardware and use it to its full capability. What we have instead is that Nouveau is perpetually less capable than the nVidia drivers, despite the best efforts of its developers. If Nouveau could match the proprietary drivers, no one would have a reason to run the proprietary drivers.
Gentoopc
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: SOLVED-Kernel upgrade Reply with quote

Hu wrote:

I'm not talking about the author of the topic. I'm talking about Gentoo about the fact that the Gentoo system tried to require the kernel to have a signature.
As an example I say/

this happened the last time I tried to build software and received a message from a system of this kind. I provided the proofs earlier. it was a small step towards windows. all this is strange to observe from those who shout everywhere about openness and freedom, but restrict the assembly and installation of kernels that do not know how to sign.
Hu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: SOLVED-Kernel upgrade Reply with quote

Gentoopc wrote:
I'm not talking about the author of the topic. I'm talking about Gentoo about the fact that the Gentoo system tried to require the kernel to have a signature.
Your post to which I am replying is the first occurrence of sign in this thread. Note that the Linux kernel gained the ability to require module signatures quite some years ago. The person who builds the kernel can choose whether to use this feature.

Separately, some systems can have Microsoft's Secure Boot feature enabled and enforced. Booting a kernel there requires that it be properly signed - but that is an issue with whoever configured the firmware, not the Linux kernel or the userspace tools. Gentoo does not require that Secure Boot be enabled.
Gentoopc
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: SOLVED-Kernel upgrade Reply with quote

it's strange, but I was building the same kernel on different systems, and only the Gentoo system got this message. and of course, systemd, which you still accepted and caved in, well, you are used to it, has already made debian from Gentoo and there is only one step left to windows. thank you so much and for taking the time and responding to my message. also thanks to the author of the topic. thanks guys.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: