some uses for git on mantaining Gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffss
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:41 pm    Post subject: some uses for git on mantaining Gentoo Reply with quote

there are some uses of git which are useful for reducing issues when upgrading the system and often it takes a while to upgrade the system, for many reasons. It is useful to branch the portage configurations directory (default /etc/portage/*) according to different moments on the update so that it is possible to apply, change and reverse different configurations better, also often the update of the repositories directory (default /var/db/repos/*) brings the issue of not being able to recompile packages already present on the system, which is something that could be avoided by being able to refer to some version for backup of that folder as needed
Banana
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience while using gentoo for round about 20 years now as a software developer: Update often and stay on stable. Huge gaps between updates tend to be more difficult than updates every week or even days.

If you really need a compareable and reliable installation and configuration, then do it and run it in a container which can be freezed or rolled back.

Or run a seperate installtion which is a copy and update it first. Or run a binhost on a diffrerent machine and compile the packages there first. If it fails there the main install will not be affected.

PFL - Portage file list - find which package a file or command belongs to.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: some uses for git on mantaining Gentoo Reply with quote

jeffss wrote:
It is useful to branch the portage configurations directory (default /etc/portage/*)
Can that be done without .git directory droppings left behind on the main file system? If it could write to /var/cache or /var/db or something, that could be useful.
pingtoo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: some uses for git on mantaining Gentoo Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
jeffss wrote:
It is useful to branch the portage configurations directory (default /etc/portage/*)
Can that be done without .git directory droppings left behind on the main file system? If it could write to /var/cache or /var/db or something, that could be useful.

It is possible to use global flag "--git-dir /path/to/alternative/git" or environment variable "GIT_DIR=/path/to/alternative/git" for git command but I think it is whole can of warm if you use it.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the warning :) git is still on my someday list.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: