[SOLVED] Diablo 4: any experience?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
halcon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:57 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Diablo 4: any experience? Reply with quote

Hi, all.

Diablo 4 has been released recently. I am very interested to know if anyone has managed to play it on PC with Gentoo via Steam. Any details, like here, are welcome!
- Why did you buy 6 cartons of milk?
- They had eggs.

Last edited by halcon on Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:53 am; edited 2 times in total
krumpf
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of the Diablo series are available on Steam store, but it seems to run on SteamDeck, so I suppose it should run on Gentoo with wine-proton.
Lutris got an install script, as I get it, it requires to install Blizzard Battle.net.
halcon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krumpf,

Thanks for your reply,

krumpf wrote:
None of the Diablo series are available on Steam store

Got it.

krumpf wrote:
Lutris got an install script, as I get it, it requires to install Blizzard Battle.net.

Aha...
I also found some more information here on Youtube.

EDIT
And also Workaround for Battle.net install hang in Lutris on Linux.
- They had eggs.
rfx
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can translate this german Test from diablo4 on arch to a language that sounds good for you https://www.computerbase.de/2023-06/diablo-iv-linux-benchmarks/
halcon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rfx, Thanks!

Waiting when I have more free time to dedicate to this...
- They had eggs.
halcon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have installed Battle.net (via Lutris).

The workaround described in the second Youtube video wasn't necessary; the installation was stuck for several minutes two times (like on 88% and on 99%) but then went ahead.

But I had to use another workaround: this one. I did not meet the problem described on that page, but that "resolution" suited me too :) What I am talking about: I had different issues during the first install, and suspected that something went totally wrong; I began to search, found that page and understood that the cause of my issues can be in the Lutris cache remained from my several-years-old Skyrim installation; I removed it, and then the second install went smoothly. I want to take note that I removed the files only from ~/.config/lutris and ~/.cache/lutris! Those in ~/.local/share/lutris are necessary for my precious Skyrim (I checked, it still works after Battle.net installation, nothing broke).

For today it's enough; Diablo 4 installation - next time :)
- They had eggs.
halcon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, Diablo refuses to launch. With default settings (wine_path: lutris/runners/wine/lutris-GE-Proton8-8-x86_64/bin/wine in blizzard-battlenet-standard-1686773236.yml), it complains:

Quote:
Failed to find vkd3d-proton d3d12core interfaces. Make sure d3d12core.dll is installed as well.

I searched and found that it is sooner of all an issue of Proton version. The first Youtube video recommended to use GE-Proton7-53. But the german benchmarks from rfx used the same GE-Proton8-8.

When I was configuring Proton for Skyrim, I made it via Steam, and it was kinda easy - one selector in GUI. Here in Lutris there are multiple configuration tabs, multiple selectors, multiple configuration files... I tried to replace all GE-Proton8-8 to GE-Proton7-53 in blizzard-battlenet-standard-1686773236.yml, and after that Battle.net refused to launch.

So, the main question: how to change Proton version for Diablo in Lutris correctly?

One more question: there is no separate Diablo icon in Lutris; Skyrim and Battle.net only. Is it normal or no? More than 80 GB downloaded, and it wasn't worth an icon :) Does Lutris consider Diablo a part of Battle.net? Or didn't I finish Diablo installation via Lutris? (I installed Diablo from Battle.net and I launch it from there)

In short, I am not familiar in Lutris, and Battle.net... I will be happy for any help.

EDIT
And... WTF is 1686773236 in the configuration file name? :)

EDIT2
Using Proton in Lutris is always a gamble. Proton is intended to be started from Steam. It can work in Lutris, but you can also encounter very strange bugs.
Reddit
:roll:
- They had eggs.

Last edited by halcon on Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:13 am; edited 2 times in total
halcon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch!

It has been launched. It is giving a wine error, about an unspecified program fail, but then it is launching, full-screen, with sound, logging into server, and showing a brightness configuration dialogue.

What I did:

In Lutris ->
Right click on Battle.net, choose "Configure" ->
Go to the tab "Runner Options" ->

1) Enable "Advanced" at the top line
2) Click "Wine version" and choose Lutris-GE-Proton8-8-x86_64
3) Click "VKD3D Version" and downgrade it to v2.8
(Thanks to)

Close Lutris, re-open Lutris.

:wink:

EDIT
I marked the topic as solved, but, if anybody has to add or ask anything, please feel free to post here.

EDIT2
...I wrote it all with Diablo still working; Alt+Tab seems to work pretty stable with it.
- They had eggs.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: