20 Years of Gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beetle B.
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 2:34 pm    Post subject: 20 Years of Gentoo Reply with quote

https://blog.nawaz.org/posts/2023/May/20-years-of-gentoo/

Edit: Updated link

Please update the table of equivalents.
A Firefox guide.

Last edited by Beetle B. on Thu May 18, 2023 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
mobiusproject
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first distro that I also really stuck with was gentoo. I started on a P3 550 Mhz machine with 512 MB of ram. I wanted to understand what was going on behind the scenes. I really wanted to know how it all `worked`. Later, when employed, I occasionally needed different compilers at different times to build for different machines which gentoo always allowed me but other distros made incredibly difficult. It has been my main operating system ever since. I am happy to see the other people who have been around as long as I have. Wonderful post.
Beetle B.
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Should have written more about the Forums - I've been inactive here for probably over a decade. Posting once in a while for help. Glad to see my password still worked!

Just noticed the plot on the page wasn't showing up. Fixed it.

A Firefox guide.
NichtDerHans
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulation!
pietinger

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beetle B.

a klick on your both links in your signature gives me a 404 Not found ... only for your information.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beetle B,

Congratultions!

I'm getting close to 20 years too. If you want a trip down memory lane there is Historical Gentoo
If you have any of the missing files and would care to share, please PM.

What stands out to me is that portage is more complete than it was in 2003. Some of helper scripts are only required in special circumstances.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
stefan11111
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, your article was a good read!
Quote:
It started off strong, and has steadily declined.
At this rate it should drop from the top 50 Linux distributions within a few years.

Gentoo doesn't cater to what most users want, so I'm surprised gentoo ever ranked so high.
Quote:
Portage, the Gentoo package manager, is s l o w. It is written in Python, and the dependency graph must be much bigger than in the early days.
I am surprised Gentoo has not built an official faster replacement.

While it would be nice if portage was written in something like c, I don't think there is much of a reason to rewrite it.
The biggest speed bottleneck is compiling, and portage already works mostly fine.
Quote:
In the old days I would take the risk of installing unstable packages, but that comes with dependency problems and a higher maintenance burden.
I do it only as needed.

Code:
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64"

While I am one of the first people to know if something goes wrong, I can't say it's because I use unstable packages. It's more because of my other choice to deviate from the "standard"(if that even exists)
I only use unstable packages, so I don't have dependency problems. I heard it's only a problem if you mix and match stable and unstable. I don't use 9999 packages though.
Quote:
The worst example of this was when I had to do a nontrivial upgrade to udev.
After the upgrade and reboot I could not even get a shell prompt.
Unfortunately, this happened just as I was moving to another city for a new job.
I simply could not spend time debugging this.

This perfectly describes my experience with systemd distros before discovering gentoo.
Due to things like this, I decided to use windows, until m$ made windows 11 unusable, which lead me to a choice between artix, gentoo and lfs.
Out of the three, gentoo was the most appealing.
Quote:
I wonder if Gentoo is more prone to attracting unhinged folks?

While we may not be consider "sane" by most computer users, I stand by my choice of distro and software.
One thing that surprised me is that most of the people on the forums are old people(over 30).
Quote:
The documentation is still good, but at some point Ubuntu became the resource with the best documentation.
I suspect Arch Linux probably holds the title now.

The arch wiki is better than the gentoo wiki at documenting systemd-related bugs and workarounds.
Since I removed and masked everything related to systemd, I haven't had to visit their wiki.
For all other things, I find the gentoo wiki to be more complete, prettier and easier to follow.
Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read your blog and I see a lot of parallels to how I got to Gentoo and why. And yes, it is the handbook and forums that are its strongest point. My real motivation to go linux was the way windows handles hard disk and partition naming (it still has issues with it). Linux with its mounting whatever, wherever you want it so it is efficient for the way you work is just bliss. And then 64-bit came. I was already an NT user but having your applications also in 64-bit was just great. Okay, in the beginning with mixed 32/64-bit it was sometimes not that easy.

I looked in my iso directory on the pc and the oldest Gentoo install that sits on it is "install-x86-minimal-2006.0.iso". This fits as I moved to Gentoo while I worked at a company I left end of 2006. There might be a few older ones around on cdroms.

I tend to do a complete re-install when I do major changes to the pc. Not when just adding a drive or so but I do a complete re-install when I change the MB or OS disk. Only got once into serious trouble when updating my system after more than a year. That took a while and a lot of support from the forum.

EDIT: Yikes, I just saw I joined the forums in 2003 so I guess I started using it then. Also almost 20 years!
Beetle B.
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
a klick on your both links in your signature gives me a 404 Not found ... only for your information.

Tells you how active I am on the forums. Both links died about 15 years ago. :lol:

Quote:
Gentoo doesn't cater to what most users want, so I'm surprised gentoo ever ranked so high.

The ratio of power users to normal users was much higher in those days, so it makes sense it was ranked highly. Keep in mind that Ubuntu didn't even exist. Nevertheless, I still find it sad that several of the distributions that rank higher are, to me, fairly unknown, while Slackware still ranks higher.

Quote:
The biggest speed bottleneck is compiling, and portage already works mostly fine.

It's not unusual for it to take minutes to run an emerge world command, and I have a beefy CPU. When dealing with blocked packages, waiting even 1 minute after each attempt to fix the blocks is painful. It could take over an hour before I finally figure out the blocks, and almost all that time is spent waiting on Portage to do its calculations.

Quote:
I heard it's only a problem if you mix and match stable and unstable.

True.

Quote:
One thing that surprised me is that most of the people on the forums are old people(over 30).

This may merely be a quirk of using phpBB as the forum. It would be alien to many under 30. Heck, I now wonder whether using phpBB is a significant contributing factor for its decline - younger users are lost trying to get help! Not that I would change it - I think it's awesome that at least one popular forum is using something that predates Markdown.

A Firefox guide.
Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beetle B. wrote:
Quote:

This may merely be a quirk of using phpBB as the forum. It would be alien to many under 30. Heck, I now wonder whether using phpBB is a significant contributing factor for its decline - younger users are lost trying to get help! Not that I would change it - I think it's awesome that at least one popular forum is using something that predates Markdown.

Don't know but I checked and all forums I look at are phpbb, vbulletin or smf. Could be it says something about me ;)
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's not unusual for it to take minutes to run an emerge world command, and I have a beefy CPU. When dealing with blocked packages, waiting even 1 minute after each attempt to fix the blocks is painful. It could take over an hour before I finally figure out the blocks, and almost all that time is spent waiting on Portage to do its calculations.
Yeah, the problem with portage being slow is not so much that it adds time on top of compilation, as it is that it adds time to the interactive part of the process.
Waiting 1 minute before typing "yes" is more painful than waiting 10 minutes for the results.

Quote:
I wonder if Gentoo is more prone to attracting unhinged folks?
You think we're all on FBI watchlist already? For the crime of not having factory-installed backwindows?

Quote:
It started off strong, and has steadily declined.

Well, it started as the new, shiny and exciting thing, and now there is little reason for people already familiar with it to go to distrowatch and read the description.
Since DW appears to use click counts as its metric, it would measure buzz. Basically: marketing to the uninitiated. On one hand it is kinda cool that someone created a list of over 200 distributions, on the other hand I have absolutely no reason to visit it again after checking out their format.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanik wrote:
Beetle B. wrote:
Quote:

Don't know but I checked and all forums I look at are phpbb, vbulletin or smf. Could be it says something about me ;)

I tend to avoid the modern forums myself, but regarding any decline and relation to forums, there is a discord thingy for Gentoo too, at least kind of officially, so there is that avenue for help as well.

I did not read the article yet, but having taken a peek, I wonder how much the drop in ranking at distrowatch is about new distros popping up, rather than overall interest falling down. Still pretty cool I guess that we are in the "major 10 distributions" list. :]

I really do wonder if that site, which I never really used, is how I found out about Gentoo back in 2010 myself. I can't remember... but I am glad I did, because it freed me from Windows pretty much immediately and completely.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a 10 Year Gentoo Census earlier this year.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Zucca

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 20th anniversary is quite close too. I don't have emerge.log from the early days (In fact, with multiple installs, I just tend to discard lot of stuff when new hardware comes to replace older).
I started between 2004 and 2005.
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
pandoraxero
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zucca wrote:
My 20th anniversary is quite close too. I don't have emerge.log from the early days (In fact, with multiple installs, I just tend to discard lot of stuff when new hardware comes to replace older).
Can relate. I started sometime in 2005. I don't have ANYTHING from my very first Gentoo install, because that was on a Pentium II Test Machine, and I think I reused that drive for a WinXP rig built around 2007. My second install was a dual-drive dual-boot with WInXP on a Socket754 Athlon64 rig. The dual-boot worked quite well since I was using the bios to switch between boot drives, rather than using the bootloader in that capacity. Advantages of having two drives to work with, I suppose. The Athlon64 rig had its fair share of issues on the Gentoo side, mainly because I had ~amd64 set globally.

Over the past decade, though, I have been much less likely to get rid of older hardware. I just semi-decommission them. Older hardware becomes test rigs.
I got rid of 2 Socket462 rigs in 2020, along with 2 first-gen Raspberry Pi units. I kept the drives from them. I'll eventually have to give those hard drives the ol' 12 gauge decommission. Bad actors can't easily recover data from a drive that's had it's platters shattered with buckshot.

speaking of, regarding Neddy's signature:
NeddySeagoon wrote:
those that do backups
I know full well what it's like to have a hard drive fail.
Lost all my user data on one Gentoo Install to a drive failure - head crash. I still have the platters from that drive, and I'll have to give those the 12 gauge sendoff, too.
maalth
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zucca wrote:

My 20 years using Gentoo is 03 Jun 2003. I started using Linux (Slackware) 13 Jul 1993. Oh man, that's 30 years of using Linux.
leifbk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first Gentoo installation was in summer 2003, on a Pentium II 266 MHz laptop with 64 MB RAM. The installation, including KDE desktop, took about 2 weeks. Before that, I had also tested Mandrake and Debian, but left them for the same reasons as you. Finding Gentoo felt like coming home.

Pretty soon, I converted my main computer from Windows 2000 to Gentoo, and never looked back.

I've never had any serious crashes such as the udev issue you mention, but then I update almost daily. But I can attest to the need for a rescue CD, and a way to read web pages if your Gentoo box goes down.
wklam
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeetleB,

Thank you so much for this thoughtful and wonderful piece! It resonates with me.

As a matter of fact, I have a similar journey. I signed up for this Reddit account today just to post this. [Edit, that post was auto-removed. So I am posting here on Gentoo Forum]

Couple things that I want to mention:

• I first started using Gentoo in ~2005 [Edit, my gentoo forum profile showed that I joined in 2005, but my emerge.log shows 2009] with my new build at the time (Phenom II 940). I am still rocking the same build (motherboard, cpu and ram anyway). But has since upgraded HDD (to SSD) and GPU (because of bulging capacitors causing instability), noisy cooling fans, power supplies (2 times), etc.

• The rolling nature of Gentoo keeps me up to date. That's the very reason I am still using this system. I am planning on a new build (because hardware price has fallen quite a bit). Otherwise, I would still be using this same PC, maybe with a few more SSD upgrades.

• Before that, I too, was using Mandrake.

• As you mentioned in the article, the very well documentation of Gentoo brought me here. More specifically, it was RAID5 + LVM2 + Reiser4 + LUKS Wiki. I am still using the very same setup.

• I appreciate the USE flags. The choice.

• You mentioned painful points of Gentoo. One of which is dependency hell. I fully agree with you. However, after overcoming one after one dependency, (with the help of friendly members of forums.gentoo.org), it brought me sense of satisfaction! Each dependency I went through, I get attached to my hard-earned "working Gentoo" even more.

• Another thing is the community of 3rd party ebuilds in gpo.zugaina.org. And numerous others who share their ebuilds in github / gitlab. (pf4public, guru, ROKO__ stefantalpalaru, among others)

• What makes Gentoo viable for me is: the contributions of all gentoo developers and users. I do not feel "abandoned" which keeps me from moving to other distro.

• You mentioned distrowatch ranking. I personally don't pay too much attention to that anymore (I used to). I was thinking gentoo users don't go to distrowatch and search for gentoo everyday.

• I do have some other boxes running Ubuntu / Debian. Not by choice. E.g. My Ubiquiti Edgerouter is using Debian stretch. My Raspberry pi4 was running Raspberry Pi OS. That being said, I was trying to fetch a package for my Ubiquiti edgerouter and found that Stretch is not being supported anymore. I had to change the Debian repository to archive.debian.org, etc. Did I say "being abandoned"? This is what makes Gentoo special, in my heart.

• I have kids. Their OS of choice is Mac OS. They hate Windows (also their locked-down and under-powered school chromebooks) to their guts. I did teach them MacPorts. They are not very much into command line stuff. I hope one day, they will also appreciate Gentoo, or Linux in general. Maybe when I die and they inherit my ancient Phenom II 940, they will have no choice (j/k).

• Last but not least, I sincerely thank all Gentoo developers / contributers, and forum members who helped other menbers. After all, this is what keeps me using gentoo. Without all of you, I would have been switched to some other distro.

Again, Thank you for your article. It brought back a lot of good memories (and dependency hell) all these years.

It's hard to predict the future (I am terribly bad at this). I hope 20, 30, 50 years down the road, the neofetch emblem of Gentoo will still be there.

-William
sdauth
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, it will be soon the 5 year mark (August). I was always switching between debian & arch before, so that says a lot, best distro 8) All my hardware run Gentoo now, even the slowest ones (14 years old Atom potato 8) )
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: