Webhosters/Cloudservices discriminating against Linux users
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gorg86
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 6:09 am    Post subject: Webhosters/Cloudservices discriminating against Linux users Reply with quote

Since approx. mid 2022 I've been having severe problems accessing websites that use Cloudflare/AWS etc. including Ebay Twitch to name a few.
It's probably below the dignity of most Gentoo users to use Twitch, but you might have heard about people on all kinds of platforms venting about troubles to log into Twitch a few months ago, with just a nonsense error message.
Well guess what, if those websites do not like your user-agent AND javascript profile, they will give you hard time constantly.

I have to spoof my user agent AND javascript profile to mitigate those stupid "security features" and not end up in endless captcha loops etc. Just spoofing your user-agent is not enough and might even make things worse.
So here is what I did in Firefox,
general.useragent.override:
Code:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; rv:106.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/112.0

general.oscpu.override:
Code:
Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64

general.platform.override:
Code:
Win32

This is by far not perfect but good enough to make big sites usable for me again.
With this I have no trouble accessing Ebay, Twitch and the unholy garbage that is Cloudflare, which was the WORST of all.

Last edited by gorg86 on Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:42 am; edited 2 times in total
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't spoof but do have a javascript blocker (noscript). The javascript blocker causes most of the problems for most problematic sites, but I don't block for ebay and ebay has always worked fine with the profiles for Linux for me... ?
gorg86
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebay is showing me a captcha during login when I do not spoof, and logs me out for no apparent reason from time to time. That is especially annoying when I want to buy things and want to pay with Paypal, it just does not work then for me. I noticed ebay.com is a bit different compared to the EU Ebay sites. Normally I don't log on to ebay.com because I live in the EU.
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoofing UA tends to work on "your browser is not compatible", poorly written websites don't check compatibility and just assume that chrome, ff and opera are the only things that can handle them.
Well written websites wouldn't need to care about it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: