Pi Zero 2
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on ARM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flysideways
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:44 am    Post subject: Pi Zero 2 Reply with quote

Well lookie there, the Pi Zero 2(pdf download) brings 64 bit quad core 1GHz computing to the Pi Zero form factor.

I think I will try moving my local mirror from the current Pi 4 to a new Zero 2 when I can get one.
mike155
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Raspberry Pi Zero 2 is beautiful - no question!

But why do you want to replace your Raspberry 4 with a Raspberry Pi Zero 2? The Raspberry 4 is faster, isn't it?

Power consumption?
flysideways
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I scored one today. The local retailer showed out of stock, but I stopped by anyway. Been playing with it this afternoon in RPi OS as an OTG device. Logged onto FGO right now with it typing this. Still slow io but the multicore is a win.

Quote:
But why do you want to replace your Raspberry 4 with a Raspberry Pi Zero 2? The Raspberry 4 is faster, isn't it?

I intend to see if the Zero 2 will handle the local mirror duties. That is all the Pi 4 currently running my local mirror is doing, and building its updates. I'll go back to using a qemu/distcc chroot to maintain the Zero 2. I have been letting some Pi 4's do their Gentoo thing natively and they do it well, just takes time, with 8GB.
flysideways
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still in RPi OS but plugged into a monitor and with the keyboard and mouse on the microusb. Browsing is better than OTG mode.

The Pi 4 local mirror is updating. When it is finished I'll be making a copy to run this thing.

It is getting up into the 60's temperature while browsing in the Foundations Zero case. I'll put into a C4 Labs Zebra with the heat sink as I have some others.
flysideways
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot about this thread.

The Pi Zero 2 W is doing duty as my local mirror. I have it powered by plugging it in to the usb port on my router that is intended for media or usb attached printers, seems to have enough power.

It connects to my network over wifi. The challenge there is that even sys-kernel/linux-firmware-20221214 doesn't have the needed brcm/ *raspberrypi,model-zero-2-w* bits. Not to worry, just sync /lib/firmware from a running RPiOS. It's a much smaller directory than the Gentoo provided package too.

This freed up the Pi 4 that was doing the local mirror duty. Lately I have been taking that Pi 4 with me when I travel, the new laptop can run it in OTG mode.
flysideways
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It starts swapping while verifying an emerge --sync, making this process longer than it could be.

It does fine providing the sync to the other computers.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on ARM All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: