ReiserFS corrupted my Gentoo =(
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lowspirit
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 12:32 am    Post subject: ReiserFS corrupted my Gentoo =( Reply with quote

Always thirsting for more performance and hearing all the latest "reiserfs is rock solid" talk I decided to change my root partition to reiserfs from ext3. The transfer went smooth and the first couple of boots and usage was pure heaven, I did notice a difference, first startup of Mozilla under X was almost 30% faster then before, and things overall felt smoother.

But then one sad boot it decided to act up, first I noticed modules.conf was a crapped up, restored from backup, rebooted, no errors on bootup but X refused to start, it just froze and rebooted.

In the end, a reiserfschk did a check, did a rebuild-tree (it told me that was only solution), and I rebooted into a broken Gentoo =(

Is this user fault? I would really like to use reiserfs cause of it's speed, but I refuse to reinstall Gentoo another time (after the one I'll have to do tomorrow) because of filesystem corruption, I've slowly switched over all my Windows work to Linux, what a misstake that was, thank god for backups.

Lowspirit = :cry:
haylocki
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I used to use Reiserfs myself, and it was Rock solid.

Recently I upgraded my motherboard and processor

Soltek SL75DRV5 & Duron 1100 MHz

Since then whenever I rebooted my PC the filesystem was corrupt :(

I have since reverted to using EXT3 and the system works fine.

I suggest you try another filesystem, and see if your file corruption stops.

Ian
zen_guerrilla
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use reiserfs here (gentoo-1.4rc1) for about 1 week without probs. Faster than ext3, more supported than XFS. However, our main servers (slackware-8.0) at work have both reiserfs and operate 24/7/365 for about 2 years now without a single hitch. So I'd suggest that u better also check your hardware and remove the notail option from /etc/fstab.

.:: zen ::.
ronmon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the Linux partitions on my desktop machine have been reiserfs for the last 18 months or so, running Gentoo since last May and Slackware before that. Aside from the scare during the mid-2.4.x kernels (from which I escaped unscathed), I have had no file corruption or other problems even with lots of improper shutdowns. We have lots of power outages where I live and journaling is essential to system health.

When I picked up a new laptop last month, I decided to use the supposedly "stable" xfs for my Gentoo partitions and have since had to delete and rebuild my /usr/portage and am having some trouble with /etc. Despite what I've read on this subject, my personal experience says that reiser is very reliable. The lappy will likely get wiped soon and a fresh Gentoo install done on a known-good (to me) file system.
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before everyone posts more "hey, I've been running an unstable filesystem for x amount of time, it has to be your hardware" replies, I have to say that I had it corrupt my filesystem on 3 different machines at 3 different occasions. It's definately not a hardware problem, nor is it a user issue.
Lowspirit
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zen_guerrilla wrote:
I use reiserfs here (gentoo-1.4rc1) for about 1 week without probs. Faster than ext3, more supported than XFS. However, our main servers (slackware-8.0) at work have both reiserfs and operate 24/7/365 for about 2 years now without a single hitch. So I'd suggest that u better also check your hardware and remove the notail option from /etc/fstab.

I'll try removing notail from fstab and give it another go, hope it won't reduce performance too much.
zen_guerrilla
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lowspirit wrote:
I'll try removing notail from fstab and give it another go, hope it won't reduce performance too much.

The difference is not that big. However here I have it enabled & works fine.
Very important: Check also your cables & your motherboard for probs. I had also corruptions with ext3 on a 440bx system & after week its mobo died...

Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used Reiser on two machines since it first made it into the kernel, never had a problem with it. I would think that by now especially it would be quite stable having been in the kernel for so long.
c_kuzmanic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I've been using reiserfs on two maxtor ata 133 drives (RAID 0) and put it through some hardcore torture testing (burning cdr's at 12x speed while encoding videos, running p2p apps and opening three instances of emerge), so far I have seen absolutely no problem. The other day I even switched off the power button during disk-intensive operations, again to (thank god) no negative effect.

I did have minor prob's with earlier versions of reiserfs (2.4.8 kernel) but I've upgraded my hardware since then. Reiserfs does seem to perform well on newer, faster drives.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: