Portage sys-kernel questions
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
betaphi1319
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 12:03 am    Post subject: Portage sys-kernel questions Reply with quote

I'm looking in the sys-kernel under /usr/portage, and I have noticed that there is a crypto-sources and a gentoo-sources subdirectory.

A few questions come to mind:
1. What's the difference between the two?
2. Can I experiment with the crypto sources while keeping the gentoo kernel available for when I screw something up?
3. Where can I find a changelog for what's changed between releases of kernel-source (i.e. gentoo-sources-2.4.19-r4 vs. -r3)?

Thanks!

Chris
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: questions Reply with quote

1. Think it's this: http://www.kerneli.org. It's an patch (not endorsed by Linus himself) to add strong cryptography that cannot normally be present due to export regulations.
2. Yeah, you should be able to. The kernels should install under unique directories under /usr/src. So you need to make sure that /usr/src/linux is linked to the folder according to which one you are going to build. Then add different kernels to your bootloader. I wouldn't recommend using modules with this kind of approach :wink:
3. Er, you should be able to glean some clues from the ebuild files in /usr/portage/sys-kernel/(kernel_version) ... can't remember which ones right now ... sorry.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: