The legend of the cursed directory
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 10:37 pm    Post subject: The legend of the cursed directory Reply with quote

Well OK, maybe not, but something weird is going on :)

I have a certain directory on one of my Windows partitions that causes any GUI app which tries to access it to exit immediately with a segmentation fault. I can browse around in it using a console without any trouble. I even tried browsing to it with a couple of Windows programs under Wine, and the same thing happened. It behaves normally when I'm in Windows, and I can access it's subdirectories normally with any app if I cd directly to them. Anyone seen this before :?:
mksoft
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess would be that some filenames cause the app to crash.

Try using a different toolkit based GUI app and see if it persists (e.g.: if you're using QT/KDE based app try with GTK+/GNOME based one or vice versa).
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had tried it on a couple of GTK based file managers (emelfm and gentoo), plus Rox, so I emerged kdebase and tried konqueror. When I browse into the directory, it pops up an error saying "The process for the file protocol died unexpectedly", then it segfaults. I'll have a look at the filenames and see if I can figure out which ones might be causing problems.

Edit: It turned out to be a Windows shortcut pointing to a Control Panel applet. I don't know why it would cause problems like it did. I tried using it in Windows and it worked fine, but I couldn't even open it in nano or rm it without a segfault. I deleted it from Windows, and the problem seems to be gone now :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: