View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hgomersall
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 9:46 am    Post subject: gdm fails Reply with quote

I was messing around with various tmp directories and screwed up the ability of gnome to load from gdm as any user other than root.

In trying to solve the problem, i unmerged gdm. I think i've now solved the problem (permissions error for the tmp directory). Unfortunately, I cannot remerge gdm so it works.

I do 'emerge gdm' and then 'rc-update add xdm default' with gdm as the setting in rc.conf and reboot. My system then boots into xdm. I don't think the merging of gdm gives any errors (it did at first, but that seemed to be solved by upgrading to the latest version of Portage).

Any ideas on the matter?

Also, how do I load a gnome session directly from a command prompt (rather than a twm session)? I've never had to before.

Thanks

hen

*update* there appears to be no binary file anywhere - even after install. no users can run gdm from command prompt by just typing 'gdm'. Where should the gdm binary be?
nitro322
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for starting gdm instead of xdm, edit /etc/rc.conf and set DISPLAYMANAGER=gdm. To launch gnome from the command line, edit (create if necessary) ~/.xinitrc and add 'exec gnome-session' (no quotes) to it. Make sure to remove any exec lines that may be calling other window managers if they're present.
hgomersall
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rc.conf setting was already correct.

I've solved the problem now. It seems that portage does not like having my /tmp directory bound to a sub directory of the /usr directory (using mount --bind)

I'm gonna ask why in another forum.

Thanks

hen
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: