Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Best way to set /proc values at boot time.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 11:57 pm    Post subject: Best way to set /proc values at boot time. Reply with quote

There are four values that I need to set in /proc at boot time. What are people's opinions on the best way to do this:

Code:
# echo 262144 > /proc/sys/net/core/rmem_default
# echo 262144 > /proc/sys/net/core/rmem_max
# echo 262144 > /proc/sys/net/core/wmem_default
# echo 262144 > /proc/sys/net/core/wmem_max

I would normally just throw them in a script and be done with it, but I'd be curious to hear what other folks would do. (I'm also looking at using sysctl, btw)

--kurt
Nitro
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to say just use sysctl, but I see you are already looking at that. 8) 8)

Please, please SEARCH before posting.

There are three kinds of people in the world: those who can count, and those who can't.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"echo ..." is pretty common among a lot of people :D

If you don't want to mess up your local rc boot scripts you can, as you were thinking, go with sysctl and /etc/sysctl.conf which is run by /init.d/bootmisc. Some people prefer echo while others prefer sysctl.

>= 2.4.x kernels should (read: are supposed to) autotune those parameters and you might also look into /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_rmem and /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_wmem - depending on why you're increasing the queue/buffer sizes.

Remember that large buffers can chew serious amounts of memory, don't exaggerate 8)
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Remember that large buffers can chew serious amounts of memory, don't exaggerate 8)

Thanks for the feedback. I'm adjusting the parameters to increase the effeciency of my broadband connection. In my ultra-informal tests, bumping up those four parameters gave me a ~300Kbps increase in speed. (on a ~5.5Mbps/1Mbps cable connection) Not earth-shattering, but nothing to sneeze at, either.

I realize it will chew up memory, but I've got gobs to start with, so I don't mind losing a few extra MB -- it's a worthwhile trade-offf IMO.

--kurt

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, those buffer/queue parameters are good starters for optimizing your throughput. If memory is not a concern, you can increse the sizes until you don't see any furhter improvements.

I wasn't sure what kind of machine you were building, if it's a fully loaded machine then there are no problems but if you're building an ultra-slim firewall/router from spare parts with only XX amounts of memory ... :o
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: