Gentoo requires to much diskspace...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RickN
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 8:56 am    Post subject: Gentoo requires to much diskspace... Reply with quote

I really like gentoo sofar, don't get me wrong. But I do think that it is strange that a basic installation (meaning: following the installation guide to the letter and adding nothing else) takes 630 Megs, after deleting all the downloaded packages. Most of the usage is located in /usr, and around 170 MB of it are the kernel sources, but still, 460 MB for a kernel, some base sytem utillities and X seems like a whole lot. Is there a way to optimize this? Maybe the devellopers should look into this also, there has to be some way to cut down on these requirements....
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo requires to much diskspace... Reply with quote

RickN wrote:
I really like gentoo sofar, don't get me wrong. But I do think that it is strange that a basic installation (meaning: following the installation guide to the letter and adding nothing else) takes 630 Megs, after deleting all the downloaded packages. Most of the usage is located in /usr, and around 170 MB of it are the kernel sources, but still, 460 MB for a kernel, some base sytem utillities and X seems like a whole lot. Is there a way to optimize this? Maybe the devellopers should look into this also, there has to be some way to cut down on these requirements....

There is no way to make the kernel any smaller. It naturally takes up 196mb. (on my system, with compiled object files, 176mb without) That's the breaks with the 2.4 kernel... previous kernels were smaller, because there was less stuff in it. (modules and drivers)

X is well.. X. Mine weighs in at 109mb. Even when I was running slackware with kernel 1.2, X was big. Gentoo doesn't strip down to just base system utilities like you think, it has alot of stuff necessary in order to do full application development.

My entire system weighs in at around 1.3 gigs... that's with KDE, OpenOffice 1.0, Mozilla 1.0rc1, full system/application development software, and other items that naturally come with Unix. (awk, bash, sed, etc, xeyes, etc...)

Times are changing, and more things are being added as disk space allows. Even back in the old days, it wasn't unheard of to take 400+ MB diskspace for an installation.

Besides, harddisks are huge... 400-600MB for an operating system is nothing nowadays. (take a look at the recent sizes of the other OS's) 120GB harddisks are 159 bucks a pop nowadays....

At that price, a terrabyte mirror RAID array would only cost $3005.10 :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: