total and utter failure... three atempts
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mogorman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 3:49 am    Post subject: total and utter failure... three atempts Reply with quote

Okay I am a well expeirenced linux user, but was totally confused by the install for gentoo. after attempting to install 3 different times today and being beaten. I am at a loss can anybody help me?
Here is how it went. First install totally from scratch get to bootstrap building, fails there cant fork, memory unalocateble. second attempt, used stage 2 can not emerge system, random problems with perl and other packages. third try, get booting system used stage 3 image, but grub was not booting without explicit instruction. and ethernet card would not work as well as lack of devfs...
If possible i would like to build from stage one but if anyone can lead me on from where i am now i will be forever in your debt. So here is what I have.
HD: dev/hda1 /boot rieferfs 100 mb
dev/hda2 swap 1 gig
dev/hda3 / 99 gigs
proccessor: i686 amd athlon 1.6ghz
eth: 3c980-tx 10/100 base tx nic python-t rev 78 <-- two of those on mobo
sound: es1371
video: ragexl <-- also onboard

that is all any help greatly appreciated, so tired of debian. email mogorman@andover.edu or thegormainian on aim if possible thanks in advance

matt
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what settings do you have for your ram and cpu...make sure your not overclocking either and just use the default make.conf flags for your first install...also is this from the 1.2-x86 iso using gcc-2.95.3?

now when you say "as for a lack of devfs..." were you intensionally leaving it out or werent sure to enable it when compiling the kernel, if the later you must first enable the first kernel option 'code maturity level options' that allows you to be 'prompted for developemental or incomplete drivers'
this will allow you to see devfs option under the file system kernel options.

one other suggestion its not critical but you might just use ext3 for /boot since its only loading the kernel then unmounted....not much need for reiserfs and it might be a bit safer in the long run.

Last edited by rommel on Sun Sep 15, 2002 4:39 am; edited 1 time in total
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely sounds like hardware. Have you seen kirill and rac's RAM testing adventure? There have also been people reporting that turning off DMA on hard disks has helped with these sorts of problems. If you are overclocking, try clocking down. If your BIOS settings are aggressive, try making them more conservative. Same goes for CFLAGS, but if you're having problems at the bootstrap stage, CFLAGS have not kicked in yet. It could also be a CPU overheating problem.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: