Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Looking for you, OSX users
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo for Mac OS X (Portage for Mac OS X)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pgray
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 6:25 am    Post subject: Looking for you, OSX users Reply with quote

Hi. Don't post much, usually just lurk, but I'm getting antsy and I'd like to know if anyone else is too.

A long time ago Gentoo PPC developers joined the metapkg (http://metapkg.org) project and promised us a fully functional version of portage on OSX. I was excited to hear that at the time, despite the fact that I only owned a PC, running, of course, Gentoo Linux. I had dreams of making the Mac switch and when the iBook G4 models debuted with Panther, I was sold. I love Panther, and I also love Linux, but I have enough PCs running them that I'd rather stay with Apple's rock solid OS. I do, however, still love Portage, and think it would be a Good Thing (TM) if we who wish to continue running OSX could have our cake and eat it too. I've tried Fink, and I've tried Darwinports, and to be honest with you, neither are of the same calibur that Portage is.

The developers have long been silent on this project. This post is not merely a plea to the devs to give us an update, but a plea to the users to come forward and show that there is indeed still support for Portage/OSX. So, does anyone else fervently check the Gentoo homepage everyday, praying that the OSX version has been released, or at least hoping for a little news? Anyone?
jdv
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for you, OSX users Reply with quote

pgray wrote:
So, does anyone else fervently check the Gentoo homepage everyday, praying that the OSX version has been released, or at least hoping for a little news? Anyone?

I do.

Just got myself a 12" iBook G4, and I love it. I'm not installing Gentoo on it until Airport Extreme is supported, so I'm really looking forward to seeing Portage on OS X...
montin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm just stuck with Gentoo becouse of the portage system. I can't really live without it. Still, it gives me software that is not really compatible with my hardware. I gave Mac OS X a try with Fink, Apples X11 and KDE, but this gave me a system with too many layers above each other. I couldn't really solve how to replace Quartz and Aqua with X. And furthur this system whould give me a "rootless"-ness, a bunch of software I don't want and a structure that I don't like. And I'm with you; Fink is not near the functionality of Portage at all.
schlesi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 7:02 pm    Post subject: I want it, too! Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm using Gentoo on my old AMD Athlon-900-Desktop and I have a "Titanium"-Powerbook running the "Panther". I was very pleased to read the announcement of Gentoo on Mac OS X "very soon". Because nothing seems to happen, I've emailed one person being mentioned in the announcement in September to get some new informations, but didn't get any reply.

Yes, I want Gentoo/Portage on Mac OS X!

Thomas
pgray
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, where is osx.gentoo.org, the supposed homepage for Portage/OSX that was announced to be available in Sept.?

Thanks for the support guys, anyone else?
schlesi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:44 am    Post subject: Portage redesign & Mac OS X support Reply with quote

Hi lovers of Mac OS X and Gentoo,

a little bit seems to happen. Look here http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/portage/portage-ng/systemspec.xml. May be these guys need much more time than announced in July for making a "general-multi-platform-portage" instead of making only an OS-X-port of "portage".

Thomas
pgray
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While portage-ng sounds exciting, I believe that it is so far on the horizon at the moment. Also, in the design document there is no explicit mention of OSX, something which troubles me, as it seems the process of translating portage to OSX also involves a significant developer effort in making sure that all included ebuilds will compile and work correctly. Portage-ng seems to be more focussed on a single portage with exacting standards for every platform, and while I sincerely hope that OSX is included in that project, I still wonder whatever happened to the original portage/OSX project.
mattreve
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too use Gentoo and OS X, but OS X only on my only mac machine. I have tried darwinports (fink sounded WAY too kludgy for my tastes) and it definetly is not near as polished as portage. This post came up when I was doing my checkup on the status of the portage for OS X.

I would be more than happy to work on bringing portage over to OS X, just would like to find out what the hell happened to the original initiative...
runt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used fink on my iBook before, but it royally messed up OS X on me the last time. Kinda pisses me off since Apple no longer supports X11 for Jaguar anymore :(
watersb
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

runt wrote:
Kinda pisses me off since Apple no longer supports X11 for Jaguar anymore :(

Is that because they are pushing people to upgrade?

I just got a new PB with 10.3.2 and it has X on it. Supported by Apple.
http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2001/qa1232.html
pvdabeel
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Updated info for portage(-ng) under OS X can be found here:
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/portage

As you can see We still are committed to bringing portage to OS X.

Pieter
jdv
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

watersb wrote:
runt wrote:
Kinda pisses me off since Apple no longer supports X11 for Jaguar anymore :(

Is that because they are pushing people to upgrade?

The only download of X11 they provide is for Panther... See "Before you download" at http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/x11/download/.

I don't know if they want people to upgrade, or if they just don't want to use the ressources required for maintaining multiple versions.
pgray
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pvdabeel wrote:
As you can see We still are committed to bringing portage to OS X.

at the risk of this sounding like a flame: we know, but how far along are you?
watersb
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried to participate by subscribing to the gentoo-osx mailing list. No traffic so far.

You can participate by [url=mailto:gentoo-osx-subscribe@lists.gentoo.org]subscribing to the mailing list[/url]

Moof!
zojas
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just saw this file on the gentoo-osx list today. apparently, this is a tarball of the first attempt to get portage on os x. I have downloaded it, but haven't tried it yet.

http://dev.gentoo.org/~drobbins/portage-osx-drobsnap-20030611.tar.gz
ct_dev
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: Portage for OS X Reply with quote

Hey everyone, I'm they fella that did the portage port to 10.2.8 last summer. Sorry about all the inactivity and whatnot, been busy with school. But, here's the beef I've pieced together about portage and OS X.

Drobbins told me that he already had some folk working on portage-ng and OS X was tied into that effort.

So as far as I can tell if you want to work on portage-osx or would like to see it happen faster, download your favorite packages and try installing them from source on your respective OS X machines.

I'd suggest checking the fink list first b/c those guys move fast when it comes to providing packages. Heck they've just release Gnome 2.4 for OS X!

But if something in a package breaks, then try fixing it. If you work out a patch, then I would suggest posting it to the gentoo-osx listserv so that it's on record. Or maybe just submit it to the fink crowd for now.

Metapkg is pretty quite as far as I can tell. I'm on the mailing list and the irc channel and it's been frequently silent space. I've been tempted to focus on coordinating that effort, b/c it's going to take a lot of work.

As far as the slowness of this progress is concerned, part of it is that there's just too much work going on for all the developers and we need some help from the community getting things coordinated or going. There are only so many developers but so many feature hungry users. These things take a lot of time. Many of us work in different parts of the world, getting our goals alined and being rigorous takes time, something there's little of, especially when you want to do something like metapkg.

As for myself, I've been busy graduating from college. Now that I'm through, I've put myself to the task of helping out with sandbox. B/c of the BSD similarities that darwin/OS X have, I've been assisting g2boojum's gentoo-bsd project.

Last night I commited some darwin/os x patches into his sandbox repo and I autoconfed/maked sandbox. That's some good news.

So something is happening. It's just going to take some more time. Please continue to be patient. OS X and darwin haven't been forgotten.
Hes Nikke
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

put me down on the OS X user who wants portage list. i'm willing to help beta test, so get me some builds! :lol:
schlesi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:59 pm    Post subject: Support for beta-testing Mac-Portage Reply with quote

Hi,

I've downloaded http://dev.gentoo.org/~drobbins/portage-osx-drobsnap-20030611.tar.gz but have a problem with the installation (I don't have a directory /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/ on my 10.3.2).

Where can I get support for beta-testing?

Thomas
Immortal Q
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Support for beta-testing Mac-Portage Reply with quote

schlesi wrote:

Where can I get support for beta-testing?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA

[breathe]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

whooooooooo....

Seriously, folks - this forum IS the support - at least when jerks like me aren't falling over laughing. I have a 10.3.2 machine and some free time - I'll see if I can get it up and limping (running seems too much tro hope for, at this point...)
zojas
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck man! I'm currently paralyzed with not wanting to update fink.

I would switch to darwinports until portage was working, but they don't have a port for gnucash which I actually use for my checkbook.
Immortal Q
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay - got it syncing in 10.3.2:
1. Copy the .py files to System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/site-packages
2. Change line one of /bin/emerge to read:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/env python2.3

3. Have at it!

For the record, I have Mac-Python (Panther) installed, and I moved the entire source tree to /usr/lib/portage, instead of symlinking it. I'll mention other solutions/hacks as I get there.
schlesi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Immortal Q,

thank you for your tip.

I've copied the .py files to /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/site-packages and made the change in /usr/bin/emerge.

But when I do an emerge sync (or sudo emerge sync), I get the following error:

Code:

[SchlesisPowerbook:~/SW-Entwicklung/portage/pym] thomas% sudo emerge sync
Password:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/emerge", line 9, in ?
    import sys,portage,emergehelp,xpak,string,re,commands,time,threading,shutil,traceback,atexit
ImportError: No module named portage

The Portage module wasn't found, but it was there:

Code:

[SchlesisPowerbook:~/SW-Entwicklung/portage/pym] thomas% ls /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/site-packages/
README                  portage.py              portagedb.py
cvstree.py              portage_core.py         xpak.py
output.py               portage_core2.py

Could there be a problem because I've installed fink, too?

Thomas
schlesi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, to answer my own question :lol: :

I've removed all the python-2.3 stuff I had installed via fink, and now the emerge works.

Thomas
0g
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Immortal Q wrote:
For the record, I have Mac-Python (Panther) installed, and I moved the entire source tree to /usr/lib/portage, instead of symlinking it. I'll mention other solutions/hacks as I get there.

Thanks for the panther hints, Immortal Q, you inspired me to make the leap and install portage-osx-drobsnap-20030611.tar.gz (mentioned above).

I had to fix ebuild.sh just to get bzip2 packages to unpack, which makes me wonder, is there a repository or a more recent snapshot somewhere?

Presently I'm having trouble figuring out how to make a portage overlay work. Here is the error,
Code:
iffy:~ root# ebuild --debug /usr/local/portage/sys-libs/zlib/zlib-1.1.4-r33.ebuild unpack

/usr/sbin/ebuild.sh: line 1122: source: filename argument required
source: usage: source filename

!!! ERROR: / failed.
!!! Function , Line 1122, Exitcode 2
!!! error sourcing ebuild

aux_get(): (0) Error in sys-libs/zlib-1.1.4-r33 ebuild.
               Check for syntax error or corruption in the ebuild. (--debug)

doebuild(): aux_get() error; aborting.

For some reason $EBUILD is not inherited by ebuild.sh. Anyone know what is going on here? Perhaps I need a different python than panther's version 2.3?
the_snark
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: I used portage-2.0.50-r1 Reply with quote

Hello,
I essentially followed the directions with the two or three tweaks mentioned above, but I used portage-2.0.50-r1. It appeared to me that all the relevant files were part of the current Portage tarball, so... *shrug* It works reasonably well. I've been careful to avoid emerging anything that would overwrite native OS X files. Unfortunately that limits what one can install. It is currently a dirty hack, we need to install into an alternate tree a la Fink.
I'm glad you people starting doing something with it - you finally got me off my seat. I'll be looking at the code now.
BTW, here's what I have successfully installed:
dev-util/dialog
app-portage/gentoolkit
media-libs/libsdl
dev-util/ccache
net-analyzer/nmap
app-editors/nano
app-misc/screen
net-www/lynx

In some cases the USE flags matter and will trip-you-up. BTW, don't forget to do a --nodeps. Manually install the dependencies you can. PLEASE make sure not to install anything that over-writes OS X native files - you won't be happy. Remember that in many cases it is BSD vs. GNU, and the apps don't always act the same.

-- Daniel Mannarino
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo for Mac OS X (Portage for Mac OS X) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: