View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lasker
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 1:33 am    Post subject: NVIDIA drivers 1.0-3123: ebuild broken? Reply with quote

Just tried to update the new Nvidia drivers the same way I usually did: This time both nvidia-kernel and -glx stuck on download with zero-byte files in /usr/portage/distfiles, without any message.
A minor problem only: I've got them from Nvidia homepage and copied them into /usr/portage/distfiles. Emerge worked then, the drivers too.
Kevlar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to download the files and install them, but when I restarted my X server it failed. I unmerged nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx and then emerged them again. Same problem. Unmerged them and went back to the previous ebuild which worked perfectly. I believe the error upon running startx was something to do with being unable to load NVdriver and with screens being found but not configured correctly.
IvoryTiger
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 4:27 am    Post subject: Ebuild worked fine for me (with caveat)... Reply with quote

I had to stop the emerge 4 times when it hung downloading the package. Once I got through the download everything worked fine and X came up fine.
dbasinge
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem. The 1.0.3123 drivers started working for me when I turns power completely off to the computer and restarted :? .

The old driver must had something stuck in memory?

Go figure.

Mike
Lasker
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, reading about all your problems (which didn't occur here) makes me wonder what could I've made different?
I recalled 'opengl-update nvidia', just for sure. Could this be the difference? There also was an update on 'opengl-update'...
Instinct
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any noticable performance improvements with these?
zypher
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded the tarballs manually from nvidia and emerged te new glx/kernel combo.
Performance is about the same with my GeForce2MX, in glxgears (~1370fps) and quake3 (~130fps playing demo four).
I think my card is on it's maximum for a while now, new drivers don't have any effect.
Any one with a better card to report on performance?
crashman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 11:56 am    Post subject: No noticable performance increase with GeForce 3 Ti500 Reply with quote

I didn't run an exhaustive series of benchmarks, I just ran glxgears. :wink:

I got roughly 2900 fps both before and after upgrading. I did have to reboot after emerging, got an error in loading NVdriver until I did. After rebooting I had no problems.

Make sure the kernel that is pointed to by /usr/src/linux is configured and also the kernel you are running.
kang
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can't get the package, their ftp hangs each time... waiting for ibiblio to mirror :(
zypher
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Download from nvidia and put the tarballs in /usr/portage/distfiles, then emerge again ;)
pdouble
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had very strange behavior when upgrading too. I manually unloaded the NVdriver, reloaded and everything but OpenGL stuff worked fine. Before I went back to the old nvidia driver, I unmerge opengl-update 1.4, merged opengl-update 1.3 and ran "opengl-update nvidia". OpenGL then worked. Just to be sure, I upgraded to 1.4 again, and ran the command, and OpenGL software failed. I went back to 1.3, ran the command, and OpenGL works again. I looked through the opengl-update script and could not figure out what would cause the problem. The only different I could see was the --use-old option and there is a line in there:

Code:

GL_IMPLEM="$1"

Now I've had trouble using

Code:

CXXFLAGS="$CFLAGS"

and had to use

Code:

CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"

but I don't think this would apply to $1 since it is a single character. It may however, so I will probably test it. Getting late, so I'm happy my OpenGL screen saver works again... :)
n0n
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevlar wrote:
I was able to download the files and install them, but when I restarted my X server it failed. I unmerged nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx and then emerged them again. Same problem. Unmerged them and went back to the previous ebuild which worked perfectly. I believe the error upon running startx was something to do with being unable to load NVdriver and with screens being found but not configured correctly.

I had basically the same problem, here's what worked for me. Quit out of X, do an "rmmod NVdriver" (and make sure it doesn't show up in lsmod anymore), then UNMERGE your previous versions completely (make sure there's no nVidia stuff anywhere), and then merge in the new versions. Worked for me, anyway. Oh, and I did an "opengl-update nvidia" too, but I don't know if that was necessary or not. No computer restart required. Emerging without doing that unmerge didn't work for me . . .
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: