Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
random compiling errors (Athlon, bad hardware?)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
haimat
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 6:56 am    Post subject: random compiling errors (Athlon, bad hardware?) Reply with quote

Hi there,

I have a big problem installing Gentoo 1.2. After bootstrapping and emerge system it several times I gave it up and tried it with the stage3 tarball. Of course untaring the tarball went fine, and I had no problems compiling the kernel and its modules.

But then I tried to merge KDE 3.0.3 and voila, the same problem. I get compiling errors on _random_ packets.

I thougt it could be the hardware, but I had no problems playing and working on Windows2k for hours. My next idea was, that my compiler flags where to aggressiv. So I minimized them to "-mcpu=i686 -03 -pipe" ... are they still too aggressiv?

Ok, since the errors appear at random ebuilds, I have no idea left. Has anybody else an idea how to fix this? Here is my hardware config:

Athlon XP 2100+
MSI Mainboard KT3 Ultra2
ASUS GeForce4 Ti4200
Infinion3d DDR-SDRAM

thx and greets, Matthias

PS: After searching on the forums I found some hints. I have tried to deactivate USB in the BIOS and I compiled w/o "-fomit-frame-pointer" -- no chance :(

Last edited by haimat on Thu Sep 12, 2002 12:11 pm; edited 3 times in total
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ick. I hate pointing people to this thread, because it was a lot of work for kirill, but you may be interested in kirill and rac stress test memory.
haimat
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I don't get an SIG11 from the compiler. It only says "Error compiling ..." (don't know exactly, I have to look @ home).

I am not a hardware guru, but I think that maybe there could be a problem with the RAM. Is it possible, that the FSB between the RAM and the Mainboard has a "problem" (or whatever. Again, I am not the hardware guru)?

Greets, Matthias
Messiah
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had similar problems on my MSI KT7 266 Pro 2 mainboard with a 1400 MHz. Athlon Thunderbird cpu. For me the fix was:
- Go into BIOS
- Load default settings (the most safe settings please, not the settings that will give you the best performance)

It worked for me well, but my cpu did run a lot slower. After that I tried to adjust some BIOS settings (Bus-speed and so on) and it did work good. I *never* have segfaults on compiling anymore.

HTH

[edit: some typos fixed]
haimat
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I think I have problem solved now (hopefully!). Yesterday I changed my RAM DIMM and now everything works fine. I hope that was the problem and I get no errors anymore...

Greets, Matthias
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: